2: JEWLS' Day Changer

Esmerelda stays behind in the band room, knowing that she has to go to Anatomy as Jewls heads upstairs to US History ll.

"Hey Jewls, did you do the math homework?" Mason asks as Jewls enters the classroom. Mason and Jewls have been close friends since the sixth grade. And every year in middle school they've been put in classes together, but freshman and sophomore year they were split and barely saw eachother. Now, junior year, they were put together in two classes. At least Mason was consistent, since sixth grade Mason has never done his math homework. In trade for the math homework Mason would always give Jewls the history homework she always had trouble on.

"Uh yeah sure, let me grab it out of my bag," Jewls replies. She walks over to her seat and occupying it was Isaac. "Beat it Isaac!"

"Beat it! Beat it!" Isaac sings teasingly, "Make me!"

"Oh crap hurry Brody's coming," Jewls says looking at the door in shock. Isaac quickly jumps out of the chair and looks at the door.

"I hate you, he ain't even here!" Isaac exclaims.

"Yeah I know I was just doing what you said...I made you," Jewls laughs.

Brody was Isaac's crush, kind of, Isaac always talked about staring at him in band and in history. Brody was a senior trumpet player who transferred to Central his junior year. Isaac met him during band camp over the past summer.

"I don't really think he goes your way," Jewls states.

"Shoot honey I don't care! that white boy can count on me to be there whenever he decides to turn his path!" Isaac laughs.

"Hey Isaac," Brody says from behind Isaac.

"Oh ma Lordy Lordy lordy! You scared the hell outta me white boy!" Isaac yells.

"Okay? Hey Jewls," Brody laughs.

"Hey, I don't think princess took her meds this morning," Jewls rolls her eyes at Isaac.

"Shut up Jewls!" Isaac defends himself, "I'm totally stable!"

"Yeah, stable... totally," Jewls snickers as she pulls her math binder out of her bag. "Here Mason," she walks over to Mason with homework.

"Oh my gosh,thank you! I freakin' love you, I would've failed without it!" Mason says relieved and grateful.

"Jewls felt her heart skip a beat and butterflies flutter in her stomach. He always said he loved her for the homework, but this time it felt different. Why? She looks up and stares into his light brown eyes. He lifts his eyebrows suspiciously. "Oh, uh yeah no problem!" Jewls stutters loudly. As she turns to return to her seat her stomach twists in embarrassed knots. Had she just seen one of her closest friends in a different light? As more than a friend? what was going on?

----------------------• -------•------ ----------------•-----------------------------

After a few classes pass by Jewls finds herself hanging out in the band room for first lunch. she pulls out her flute and begins to play random notes.

"Sounds pretty, what song is that?" Serenity walks over to Jewls.

"It's not a song I was just playing random notes, I usually do that when I'm distracted," Jewls sighs.

"What's distracting you? having trouble with the music or something?" Serenity asks concerned.

"No it's not that...it's my friend," Jewls stutters.

"Your friend?" Serenity questions, "What's wrong?"

"Well long story short... she thinks she's in love with her best friend," Jewls pauses realizing how normal it all sounds.

"And? That's usually what happens between best friends," Serenity explains.

"Yeah I know, in like the movies!" Jewls exclaims, "Not in my li- I mean Maya's life! That's her name. She always seen him as a brother, nothing more, nothing less.

"Ah I see," Serenity chuckles realizing that "Maya" is actually Jewls. "Well what does Maya think now?"

"She's not sure," Jewls says slowly.

"Well I guess you can call it an adjustment. Perhaps the feelings you're- I mean uh Maya is feeling have always been there, she's just acknowledging them now."

Jewls thinks for a few seconds thinking back through the years. Perhaps the feelings were always there and she just never noticed. Maybe Mason always noticed his feelings for her. Jewls begins to feel bad remembering how many times she's called him her brother. He must hate her she thinks.

As the "end of lunch" bell rings jazz band members begin to enter the band room. Esmerelda walks up to her sister, "You should just join jazz band already, since you're always here. Just switch your classes."

"Yeah, with my flute? That makes perfect sense, a flute in the jazz band," Jewls laughs.

"It's been done before; Erika's sister was a flute player in the jazz band," Mr.Skythe comments on the subject from behind Esmerelda.

"Yeah, but she's like a legend, just like Erika will be since she nearly plays every instrument in the band," Jewls retorts.

"I only play nine," Erika corrects her. "Sorry we can't all be music protégées like mwah. I'm just kidding!" She laughs after doing a little hair flip.

"No you're not! you know you meant it," Esmerelda adds making everyone laugh.

As Serenity heads off to English Jewls gets lost in her thoughts. That is until the jazz band plays so loudly that the music drowns out all her thoughts.

SORRY THAT IT TOOK ME A LITTLE WHILE YOU ALL HAVE BEEN YELLING AT ME:P BUT HERE IT IS AND TAY I KNOW YOU WANT TO JUST KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER BUT GIVE JEWLS A CHANCE! HAHA AND IF THERE ARE ANY EDITING MISTAKES JUST LET ME KNOW... FORGIVE ME ITS 1:35am! Goodnight!