28: New York, New York

"Happy New Year!" Jewls cheers with a sparkler in her hand.

"Come here," Mason pulls Jewls into his arms and kisses her. "I honestly would not want to go into this new year with anyone else."

"Neither would I," Jewls smiles staring up into his eyes.

"Why couldn't we do this last year?" Mason asks with a big grin.

"Because you were such a punk!" Jewls laughs.

"Me? You should've told me first," Mason teases.

"The girl should never be the one who has to say something," Jewls rolls her eyes, "And plus I didn't start having strong feelings towards you until this year."

"Same," Mason admits, "I mean I've always thought about it, but never really acted on it, DUMB! I mean every guy thinks about how it'd be like to date his female friend."

"Believe it or not, so do girls," Jewls laughs.

"Oh I didn't know you thought about your girl friends too. Who is it? Serenity?"

"Shut up! You know what I meant," Jewls hits him playfully.

"You're right I should've asked a long time ago," Mason says turning Jewls around. Now Jewls back leans up against his chest and he says, "See, we fit perfectly together, like a puzzle."

"You're right," Jewls smiles, "I feel super safe right here in your arms."

"Good, I can be your hero baby," Mason starts singing very off key.

"Oh gosh, my ears are bleeding," Jewls makes a face and covers her ears.

"You know I sing like an angel," he swoops his face into her neck.

She giggles, "I guess it's good that we have one more year together."

"One more year? That won't stop this relationship," Mason squeezes Jewls tighter.

"College?"

"Maybe, but I won't be smart enough to be accepted where ever you decide to go."

"Oh shut up! That's so far away from now," Jewls says.

"Yeah you're right, we have right here and right now," Mason pulls Jewls into him by her waist.

"That's right," Jewls leans in and kisses him softly.

"Okay kids this is where we head back to the hotel," Mason's mother yells over the cheers of the streets.

Fireworks crackle and pop in the sky painting the town with bright golds and greens. "Don't worry Mason they're having a party at the hotel for young adults," Mason's father says.

"A kid's party?" Mason asks.

"YOUNG ADULTS," his father repeats.

...

"Okay so the party runs until three A.M. and has started at ten," the hotel manager says.

"Great so you two will be coming in on the peak of the party," Mason's mother says excitedly.

"Or you can let us hang out together in Jewls' room until Esmerelda comes back," Mason suggests.

"Nice try," his father pads him on the back.

"What are you talking about? Nothing bad was gonna happen. We were just gonna chill and watch a couple movie," Mason smiles at Jewls.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's all that was going to happen," his mother shakes her head disapprovingly.

"Go ahaead kids, have fun," Mason's dad pushes them towards the party hall, "We'll see you back at the room by four A.M."

Mason opens the door and tons of teens are fist pumping in the middle of the dance floor. Jewls quickly slips her hand into his and they step further into the dimly lit room. A David Guetta song booms through the speakers and Mason looks at Jewls realizing it'll be very hard to talk to her in here. They sit down at a table that is empty of people, but crowded of others' belongings.

"Want something to drink?!" Mason yells over the music.

"What?" Jewls says.

Mason grabs Jewls' chair and pulls it up against his, if he pulls any closer they'd be one chair. He places a hand behind her and leans in close to her ear, "I said do you want a drink?"

Jewls giggles and whispers back in his ear, "You didn't have to do all that."

"Do what?" He smiles.

"Pull my chair over like that. You're so dramatic."

"Who said I did that just to ask you that question?"

"Well why did you do it?"

"I want you closer to me."

"And why's that?" Jewls smiles.

"I mean look at everyone in here. Hormones are flying. I've already seen five boys look over at you," Mason stares around jealously, "That was until I pulled you over."

"Is someone jealous?" Jewls asks curiously.

"No, of course not," Mason looks around again, "I want them to think you're my little sister and I gotta take care of you. That girl over there is actually pretty hot."

"Shut up! You're such a jerk," Jewls pushes his chest.

"Oh who's jealous now?" Mason raises an eyebrow, "Are you jealous?"

"Yes, I can admit it," Jewls lifts up her chin proudly, "Are you?"

"Are you insane?! Of course I am! You and I have been friends forever, I've been jealous everytime any boy got close to you," Mason says.

Jewls blushes and turns her face away from him. Mason blushes too, but is greatful that Jewls hasn't noticed. Mason notices a door to a mini patio on the other side of the hall. He waits to see if someone walks in or out. Immediately a few guys and about two girls walk in laughing, showing Mason that the outside patio is open for the teens.

"Come on," Mason stands up with his hand out to Jewls.

"Where are we going?"

"Trust me Jewls." Mason leads Jewls towards the patio.