35: What is she gonna do?

"Esmerelda?" Mr.Dorzen stands outside of Esmerelda's home knocking on the door.

Esmerelda opens the door and her eyes open wide when she realizes who is standing outside her door. "What are you doing here?!"

Mr.Dorzen stays silent for a second taking in all of Esmerelda's expressions. He notices fear, sadness, and grateful ness rush over her face all at once. "You said we need to talk," he replies.

She pulls him in by his arm hoping that no one recognizes him on her street. She slams the door shut behind her and says, "Yeah like on the phone! Not at my house!"

"By the look on your face right now I can tell that talking on the phone will not solve this mess and that you're glad I came."

"No I'm not," she lies.

"Well I'm here now so there's nothing that can change that," he shrugs his shoulders.

"Yes there is, you can leave," Esmerelda points at the door.

"You and I both know you don't want me to and we also know that that's not gonna happen," he says strongly.

Esmerelda is silent knowing that he's right. She decides to change the subject, "Why aren't you at school right now?"

"It's lunch and plus this is my free period," he says, "But I didn't come here for me. I came here for us... Is us even a thing anymore?"

"I don't know," Esmerelda almost whispers to herself.

"What happened? Who were you talking about in the text? Who knows? Your mom? Serenity? Jewls?" He suddenly turns pale realizing, "Jewls knows now doesn't she? That's why she was so cold to me in class today."

"Yes she knows now," Esmerelda cries.

"I don't think that's a bad thing."

"Not a bad thing?! Are you crazy? That's probably the worst thing that could happen!" Esmerelda lashes out.

"Esmerelda!" Dimitri walks over to her and puts his hands on her shoulders trying to calm her down. "Calm down, everything is gonna be alright. I can fix it."

"Fix it? You think you can just fix it?" Esmerelda asks very calm and quietly looking Dimitri in the face. "You can't fix it! And I'm not gonna calm down! She thinks I'm a slut!" Esmerelda yells out making Dimitri step back.

Dimitri stares in shock, but doesn't say anything.

"My own sister thinks I'm a slut," Esmerelda sits on the ground drowning in her own tears.

"How did she find out?"

"You!" She spits at him.

"What?"

"Yup she told me you basically told her."

Dimitri thinks for a couple of seconds and it suddenly hits him, "Oh my gosh. Esmerelda I swear I didn't tell her. She must've overheard me talking to Mr.Skythe this morning about New York and made the connection."

"Yeah she said she even saw you in the window from the patio," Esmerelda says with her head in her hands.

"That's who was looking up at me," he says. "So did she say she was gonna tell?"

"No."

Dimitri let's out a sigh of relief and asks, "That's good right?"

"She told me to stop."

"Stop what?"

"Stop this," Esmerelda says. "If we keep seeing each other she's going to tell everyone."

"She can't do that," Dimitri says with a horrified look in his eyes.

"Yes she can, and she will."

"Fine then tell her we've stopped seeing each other," he exhales.

"I can't," Esmerelda says standing up.

"We won't actually stop though," Dimitri walks over and hugs her.

She pushes him away and says, "That's what I mean. I can't lie to her too."

"It's giving her what she wants."

"And when she finds out I lied to her she'll think of me as a slut and a liar!" Esmerelda shrieks.

"So what do you wanna do?" He asks worriedly.

"I'm gonna do what she says..." Esmerelda trails off, "I'm gonna stop."