Interview : TeaLeaves

Tea is an amazing writer, and her story "Beauty Never Sleeps" remained in my mind for a long time after I read it. Let's hear from her!

First off, - what's your name? (or nickname, if you don't prefer to give your name away).

Tea is what I go by around here. ^.^

What are your major works so far?

The most well-received of my stories would have to be Beauty Never Sleeps, though I count both Cry Wolf and Warrior Within as equally major projects just now beginning to blossom.

What draws you to the genre(s) you write?

Well, I write in a lot of genres, so I'm drawn in by a great many things. I like to think it's the thrill of a good story that pulls me into these things, especially the chance to develop personal relationships with the characters who dwell in my head and on my laptop.

What are you working on at the moment?

Currently I'm working on a teen-fic/action story entitled Cry Wolf, a sword-and-sorcery type fantasy called Warrior Within, and the sequel to Beauty Never Sleeps! Very excited for the latter, and I have a few things I'm writing just for fun, too.

Which writers inspire you?

The author who has always inspired me most has been Stephen King because his Carrie was one of the first books I ever remember sitting down and reading by myself. Suzanne Collins right now is a major inspiration for the sheer genius of the world she managed to create and the intricacy of her characters. There are just so many authors I idolise.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?

I'd have to say dreams. When you have all these ideas of stories stuck in your head so much so that they come to you nightly, sometimes you have no choice but to just get stuck in. From the very first word I think I was hooked!

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?

I like to just start with a vague idea, maybe the story of a character or two, and see where it goes from there. I am terrible at planning, which is probably why I like cliffhangers so much. :P They're good for giving you the time to figure things out before you have to start writing them.

What is the hardest and the easiest thing about writing?

The hardest thing for me, personally, is finding the right place to end a story. I always have all these ideas and it's one heckuva tough job to pick which one works best and which your audience are going to enjoy. And easiest? Creating characters. I'd like to think I have a kind of affinity for just sitting, putting pen to paper, and coming up with these elaborate characters with rich backstories and personalities I'd die for.

Do you ever get writer’s Block? If you do, how do you win over it?

All the time. My personal favourite way of getting past writer's block is listening to music that corresponds with the story I'm telling. And if that doesn't work? I start something new and fun – usually a fan fiction – to ease me back into the fun of writing before I pick up the serious again.

Do you proofread / edit all your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?

Right now it's all down to me. I haven't found just the right editor yet, though that's high on my wishlist!

How do you handle hate mail or negative comments (if you get any at all)?

I'm lucky not to have had any of that yet, but I'd like to imagine when I get it the inspiration that comes from positive comments will help me to ignore it, or address it in a sensible and adult manner.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

I would have liked to have written Battle Royale because it's such an enchanting book you just can't put down. The characters are all on par, the concept is well thought through, and Shogo Kawada will always be my little fangirl crush.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Don't let anything stop you. When people shoot you down, take it on the chin and work hard to make your writing that much better. Ever idea in the history of the world – I think – has been criticised at some point. None of us are perfect, and not everybody is going to love your particular brand of awesome. Stick to it!

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Not that I can think of. :P Unless my undying thanks to all who give my work the time of day is ripe for this interview. Seriously, the folks who can put up with my babble, plot holes, and sporadic updates are my world and I love them all.

What were / are you like at school? Were you good at English?

I'd like to say English was my strongest subject – it was certainly my best grade when I left. Next September I'm headed off to study Creative Writing and English at university, so I'd better be good. I only hope to use my love of the subject to make my writing a finer craft and inspire others to do the same.