Chapter 24.

Rahul

I open my eyes and have to pinch myself. Today is my engagement party celebrating me and Leyla. I smile. Today we will pick our wedding date and formally give each other rings and... I have yet another surprise for Leyla. I jump out of bed and rush into my bathroom taking a quick shower, brushing my teeth and getting changed into some jogging bottoms and a tee. I hurry through my dorm room grabbing my suit bag as I pass my wardrobe making my way into the corridor locking my room. I rush to the carpark on the other side of campus and clamber inside switching the ignition on. I haven't seen Leyla all week as she has been 'studying' and apparently I distract her too much. I hope she's been okay sleeping alone, I know she has frequent nightmares and being pregnant probably isn't the best time to be tossing and turning in bed. I drive for around an hour before pulling into a near vacant car park at a stately home. It's a huge building with red brick, the driveway is a long straight line with a circular hedge surrounding a water fountain just outside the door. This is the place my parents chose to have the engagement venue! I walk into the entrance which is a huge open space with wooden flooring, a huge chandelier and two sweeping stairways.
"Rahul," my dad walks over to me and claps his hand on my back, "looking good haan?" I nod gazing around at the old portraits on the wall. It must have cost a bomb!
"Is the marque up?" I ask walking through the doorway in the middle of the two stairways into a large drawing room. Colourful garlands hang on the walls and large lanterns are on the floor with huge candles ready to be burned.
"Haan, everything is ready," my dad reassures me as I look out into the garden. Fairy lights are scattered around the garden with huge dome lanterns spread out across the grass. I nod again. It must be nerves.
"Caterers and stuff?" I ask and my dad gestures behind me to a small lady with a clipboard. I nod... Again. I just can't wait to set a date!

********************

"Leyla?" I ask as she stumbles through the doors. She's wearing a ivory sari, with a gold thread running throughout with a gold wrap around thrown over her shoulder twice in an effort to hide her pregnant stomach.
"Haan?" She looks up her eyes red.
"You look like shit," I say so she hits me.
"Why don't you try being pregnant then," she sighs, "try sleeping with Junior doing aerobics and 'hood-eye' watching you." She folds her arms across her chest in annoyance and pulls a childish face.
"Sorry," I say pulling her into a hug. She reluctantly puts her arms around my waist.
"How long do we have until everyone arrives?" Leyla asks pulling away. I look down at my watch and spot Leyla's shoes. Well when I say shoes I mean trainers.
"What are those?" I point to them, "white converse?" Leyla looks at me and sheepishly smiles.
"I can't wear those other shoes," she sighs, "my feet are swelling." I start to laugh. I can't believe she looks so beautiful and then you look at the shoes and well it just looks unusual.

"Lets just hope nobody notices them," I smile. Leyla smiles too and I find myself leaning towards her in my black suit and bow-tie. Leyla leans forwards to and our lips about to touch for the first time in a whole week when she flicks her finger up and pulls her face away. She closes her eyes and pouts her lips before taking a deep breathe.

"Leyla?" I ask as her eyes flicker open.

"Morning sickness," she mumbles, "only it likes to come whenever it feels." I smile before giving her a quick peck on her cheek.
"Well lets hope your not sick on my gran's shoes," I point to the door where guests are beginning to arrive. The light is already dimming down and the lanterns look awesome on the front so I bet they look even better on the back lawn.
"Dadi!" I shout (so she can hear me).

********************

Leyla

"It's going great," Ishita whispers in my ear and I smile. Well I hardly know any of the new extended family that Rahul's parents have invited and I'm finding it really hard to answer their questions. I mean do they even know I'm pregnant?!
"Is it on?" A familiar voice echoes around the drawing room.
"I said is it on?" I slowly turn myself and am faced with a giant screen, a projection of my mother sat in our old kitchen staring back at me.

"Haan it is on," my father's voice laughs.
"Maybe we should start it again then?" My mother asks as my father sits next to her.

"No it'll be fine," my dad smiles and they both take a deep breathe.
"Beti! We're filming our engagement speech now so that when you are engaged, whether we are there or not, you cannot shout at us for embarrassing you because we probably won't remember what we said on this video. Congratulations on finding 'the one' or 'insert name here'" a laugh ripples around the room, "we are so proud of you. If you are young then we want a lot of grandchildren but if you are old then what took you so long we have been waiting for this day! We know you'll have picked someone nice else your father would not have agreed to the marriage. All I'm saying is I hope the groom's side is paying half else your father would probably say no to that too," another ripple of laughter, "I can remember my engagement to your father, it was the happiest day of my life! I can't wait to buy your wedding garments and design your mehndi and be the mother-in-law from hell. We just want you to know Beti that we are so proud and happy of you and wish you all the best. This is the moment when you tell us we are the best parents ever and give us a hug and embarrass us. We love you Leyla and can't wait to see you get married! Until the wedding!" The screen finishes on an image of my parents with their arms around each other waving at the camera cheesy grins taking over their faces.

********************

Rahul

I turn to look at Leyla, the glass in her hand slowly falls to the floor and smashes as everyone claps the speech. She turns, silent tears falling down her face and hurries out into the garden. I walk after her not wanting to draw any attention. I thought this surprise would make her happy, not sad. Nobody even knew they had filmed this speech.
"Leyla?" I call. She hastily wipes the tears from her face but doesn't turn to me.
"I'm fine," she lies as I put my arm around her waist.
"Sorry, I didn't know it would have this effect," I say kissing the top of her head. I have to admit the spheres of flickering light do look amazing on the back lawn.
"I just haven't heard their voices in fifteen years," Leyla sobs wiping her face furiously.
"I should have told you," I whisper holding her close to me.
"No, it was a nice surprise really," Leyla leans her head on my shoulder.
"Guys the astrologer is ready," my mum calls and I give her the thumbs up. Leyla turns to me and I use my fingers to mop up any traces of tears. She smiles at me and I smile back.
"Ready?" I ask and Leyla nods. We walk back inside with our fingers entwined and take a seat in front of the atrologer. My parents stand behind me and Leyla's grandmother stands behind her. The astrologer consults his two pieces of paper. One my star sign the other Leyla's star sign.
"There is only one auspicious date in August," he informs us tracing his finger along our pages, "it is the twenty-eighth." I look at Leyla who's face has fallen and is turning white. Her hands begin to tremble as she grips onto the chair arms. Slowly at first her head begins to shake then more and more until she abruptly gets out of her chair.
"I need a minute," she says hurrying off. I get up to follow her but feel her grandma's hand on my shoulder.

"There's something you need to know before you speak to her," she informs me gravely.