Chapter 7.

Rahul

"So Leyla what do your parents do?" My dad tries to smile as he puts another piece of chicken in his mouth. He chews on it thoughtfully as he watches Leyla squirm.
"My father is an electrician and my mother is a care assistant," she says pushing the rice around her plate with her fork. My dad nods his head the thoughtful expression never leaving his face.
"So Rahul how come you have never mentioned this girl?" I don't know whether my dad meant to be rude or whether he couldn't help being a stuck up twat. I shrug and put my knife and fork onto the plate signalling I've finished eating.
"Didn't think you guys would approve," I say evenly folding my arms across my chest. So far this meeting all my parents had managed to do is judge Leyla on her outfit, her accent, her name, the way she eats, the way she walks, just everything and I'm sick of it. I can tell it is making Leyla feel awkward which makes me feel bad because I never wanted her to feel self-conscious it just seems like that is part of the package you get with my parents. I mean I thought my parents would like her because she gets good grades, looks pretty and is shy and polite!
"And why wouldn't we approve?" My mum asks trying not to furrow her eyebrows but failing miserably. It's like my parents live in such denial. They can never admit that they are stuck up and love judging those below them.
"Oh I don't know," I spit, "maybe because she's not one of you rich friends daughters?" I throw the first real punch, I'm not going to skirt around the situation which has been rising since we got here I'm going to go at it full throttle.
"Rahul," my dad is trying to assert his authority over the situation, trying to show Leyla that he is the big man but right now he just seems petty. My dad is always going on about not judging people and helping others in need but when it comes down to it deeds are better than words and my dad doesn't seem to understand that.
"It's true though isn't it?" I laugh, "you've barely said anything to her all morning but now it is lunch you feel the need to interrogate her."
"Rahul," my dad's tone is rising as he slowly puts his knife and fork onto the table. He reaches for his water glass and takes a couple of sips staring at me over the rim.
"So you're okay with the fact her parents aren't in your social network then?" I ask staring right back at him. I can see anger building and I know exactly which buttons to press to provoke a reaction.
"Of course we are Rahul," my mum tries to defuse the situation but I'm not done yet. This is the first time in months I've seen my parents and we didn't exactly part of great terms last time I saw them.
"Not going to ruin your rep is it papa?" I mock an innocent voice as my dad slowly places the glass back onto the table.
"And what rep would that be?" My dad asks pulling his lips into a straight line.
"Oh I dunno, shitting on others as you make your way to the top?" I smirk, now that had really done it. My dad was so proud of working from the bottom to get to the top but once he had reached the top he forgot his roots, forgot the core principles of who he was just so he could be like the others he hangs out with: a stuck up bastard!
"Rahul!" My dad shouts banging his fist on the table making Leyla jump and my mum wriggle on her seat.
"Can't deal with the truth can we?" I shout back scrapping my chair against the floor.
"No can't deal with my son being such an ungrateful brat," my dad yells across the table, spittle landing on his plate.
"'Ungrateful'?" I laugh sarcastically, "I've got nothing to be grateful for!" I stand up and throw my napkin onto the table before turning and storming out.