Chapter 2: Dove

"Mario, is that you?" Kayla asked the man she saw standing outside on one of the upstairs balconies.

She had gone upstairs to use the bathroom. Kayla had noticed how he seemed a little distant at last night's dinner. She had brushed it off as him feeling bored with just her and Dee for company. Especially since his brother hadn't turned up till the early morning hours.

"Mario... Hey," Kayla said, reaching her hand out and tapping him lightly on the back. The balcony had a view of the patio outside and most of the grounds surrounding the mansion. Kayla could see the angel fountain and smiled, remembering her wedding day as she saw the place she had exchanged vows with Stavros.

"Are you OK? Sorry if I startled you," Kayla said when Esmario spun around, alerted to her presence. Esmario relaxed and smiled when he realized it was Kayla. He had just been deep in thought, thinking about her. He couldn't get his brother's wife out of his head.

"Kayla, you gave me a fright. I didn't see you guys come in," Mario said, smiling, trying to be as normal as possible. All he could think of, though, was that first time he kissed her in Charlton. He was staring at her lips now, plump and ruby red as she spoke. He looked away, embarrassed and appalled by his behavior.

"Why are you hiding up here? You do know you can talk to me, right?" Kayla said, feeling concerned for Esmario. He had always been there for her. The least she could do was be there for him now.

Esmario looked at her, wishing things weren't so complicated. What was wrong with him? He loved Deedee and he didn't want to hurt anyone, but at that moment, all rational thought left him. He put his hand on Kayla's cheek and looked deep into her eyes. He started leaning in slowly. He wanted to kiss her and he nearly did.

Kayla moved back and looked away from him, knowing this was very out of character for Esmario. When she said she wanted to help him, this wasn't what she meant. Kayla looked at him, shocked and angry. She had thought Esmario was different. He was with Deedee, but here he was, trying to kiss her.

"Kayla? Oh, there you are. Stavros is looking for you," Deedee said, coming out onto the balcony where she and Mario stood, looking at each other.

"Oh...thank you, Dee," Kayla said, finally looking away from Esmario. She turned on her heel without another word to Esmario or Deedee.

She didn't want to be that friend. She also knew how much Esmario meant to Deedee. She glanced out at the balcony before taking the staircase down, back to where everyone was. She saw Deedee and Esmario kissing as she walked away. Kayla decided nothing had happened, so she didn't need to make an issue of it.

Stavros was standing next to the large grill master that Vincent was so proud of. She walked out of the large French glass doors and went towards Stavros. He was chatting with a man Kayla hadn't met before. She was sure she had never been introduced to him.

"Alfio, here she is. This is my wife, Kayla. Babe, this is Alfio, and he's like an uncle to me. He and Padre have been friends since I was a young boy," Stavros said, pulling Kayla into his body.

"What a pleasure to finally meet you. You must forgive me for missing your wedding. I was traveling at the time," Alfio said, kissing Kayla's hand.

"Lovely to meet you," Kayla said, smiling.

There was a sudden commotion coming from the direction of the house. Rosa came out to the patio, in a huff, heading over to Vincent. She whispered something in his ear. Vincent's mood completely changed. He had a large scowl on his face as he came over and handed Nerio to Kayla, then he spoke to Stavros and Alfio.

"Hanno attraversato la linea (They have crossed the line) coming into my home," Vincent said aloud.

Stavros and Alfio went into the house, following Vincent. No questions asked.