Chapter 9

Snap held the two cream orbs against his chest, huddled up in a cave at the edge of a cliff. Thunder roared up ahead, echoing throughout the cave like an angry dragon that just had its food stolen. It had taken him three days to get back to his homeland, Pyrrhia. Three days without sleep. Three days without food. Three days of loneliness...

He survived those three days, of course. If he didn't, then he wouldn't be here, in a cave, with two strange eggs in his grasp. Slick wouldn't of know that his brother died if that had happened. The two eggs would've died as well, at least, he thought that's what would happen to them. Snap sighed, putting the two cream eggs down near the fire he had created. He was anxious and nervous about when the eggs would hatch and what will happen once they do hatch.

He knew it had to be soon. It was near the time they would hatch, since he saw them shake a bit sometimes, the dragonet inside the cream armor starting to realize it was time. He was scared of that time, to be honest. He was frightened, but he would never admit that to someone.

He was frightened because of what the wind whispers to him every so often. It sounded like a prophecy. He heeded it more as a warning, since he knew prophecies were a bunch of eagle's droppings. But, deep inside him, he knew that it was really a true prophecy. It was not made by the secretive NightWings, it was made by someone else. It came from a different place, a place he had no idea it ever existed.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a small scratching noise. Fear instantly shot through him, thinking it was one of the eggs about to be hatched. He slowly turned his head, his mind screaming not to, his heart beating rapidly against his chest. He saw the two cream eggs, intact and still like a rock.

"Thank the queens." He breathed, letting out a sigh. He turned his head to look outside the cave, but instead he saw a dark mass looming over him. He let out a yell of surprise, but it was cut off.

And then everything around him went dark.

• • • • • • • • •

There was a faint buzz, more a like a hum, flowing into his ears. The faint sound started to become more clear to him, becoming more aware of his surroundings. The noises were voices. Dragon voices, to be more exact. He could hear them talking- no, more like arguing- over something. He opened his eyes to see them, yet he still saw darkness. Was he dead? Were the voices he was hearing other dead dragons, too?

He opened his jaws to speak, yet his jaws would not open. He tried to move his arms, then his legs. They felt stuck and did not move as much. He then tried his wings. They would not open, like his jaws. He tries to move once more, yet it felt like he was stuck, like he was trapped in this darkness. The only thing he could move was his tail, but what use would it be? It couldn't help him escape the darkness.

Is this what's it like to be dead? Forever stuck in a darkness where you can't call out for help? Nobody ever able to hear you..? He thought to himself, starting to give up. He realized how scared he was right now when he thought about how no one can help him. He felt tears starting to slip down his face, but he couldn't stop them from coming. He let them pour out of his eyes, since it was the only thing that he could do with his body. He could only cry in this endless abyss of darkness.

He started to whimper slightly and that's when he noticed the voices had stopped arguing. He heard something moving, getting closer to him. He could smell its scent. He felt talons on his face and that made him scream. He screamed as loud as he could, thrashing around in hopes that he could get unstuck. His screams were dull and muffled, since he could not open his jaws.

The talons were removed from his face, yet he kept screaming and thrashing in hopes that someone might hear him. He heard a feminine voice, which reminded him of his mother's. It made him stop screaming at least. But then he felt something hit him aside his head and he heard the feminine voice once more before blacking out again.

"You poor baby."