Chapter 2- Party-Prepping

I look over to the other side of the bed as soon as I wake up the next morning to find Kian already gone.

Maybe he is just downstairs or something, I think.

As I head downstairs, I look in the living room: no Kian. The kitchen. No Kian. I search the whole house; he wasn't here anymore. I return upstairs to hop in the shower and start my day, trying not to think about where...or who...he ran off to. My phone beeps on my nightstand as I'm returning from the bathroom with a text from the mystery man:

"Hey thanks for letting me crash at your house last night. Sorry I left so early; Andrea needed me."

I grit my teeth as I reply, "Ofc, np."

I throw myself into the red bean bag in the corner of my room and sulk down into its comforting bean baggy-ness. Kian and I bought this together a few months ago on one of our many trips to IKEA. Every time I see it I think of him. Actually, half of the junk in this room reminds me of him.

The window (for obvious reasons), the little tiger beanie baby he got me, my posters from the 90's shows and bands we loved growing up, my red penny board because we always skate together. The old dusty lamp in the corner of the room that he broke playing basketball inside reminds me of him too. Even the empty can of Arizona Iced Tea in my trash makes me think Kian--it's our favorite drink.

I chuckle and smack my palm to my forehead. "You need to get over him already!" 

And as if the universe is giving me a sign not to, my phone beeps again with another text from Kian.

It reads: "I love you" followed by hearts and kiss-y face emoji's. My face starts glowing and I frantically begin to type my answer.

"Really?! Because I've had a crush on you ever since we were really little and-"

Another message sends, interrupting mine. "Oops. That was for Andrea. Sorrryyyyy.😁"

I bite my lip, trying not to cry. Well that didn't hurt.

My doorbell echoes from downstairs and I spring up, half-heartedly expecting Kian to be at my door all doe-eyed and smiley. Much to my disappointment, it's Connor, Jc and Sam. 

Connor follows me upstairs as Jc and Sam raid my fridge for breakfast. He immediately can tell something is up, as usual. 

"Hey, what happened?" I hid my face.

"Nothing. I'm fine," I mutter. 

"Carrie, c'mon. Is it Kian?"

Yes, Connor knows I like Kian. He's the only one of the guys that knows. Kian has no idea I like him...at least I hope not. It would ruin everything. Some things are just better left unsaid.

I close my eyes and nod, unlocking my phone to show him the last of our text thread.

He grabs me in a hug. "Can we talk about this later? Just in case they're listening..."

Connor nods and manages to distract me for an hour until they left. Once the guys are gone with only a trace of dirty dishes to prove that they were here, Connor and I debrief.

"So there's not hope of this crush going away while he's with Andrea?"

I give him a pathetic 'what do you think' smile.

"I don't know what it is about him. But I can't get over him. He's always there for me, ya know? He's been there for me for every hard time I've ever been through; every breakup, every friend drama, every fight with my parents...he gets me like no one else does. He is just-"