Chapter 63

^ Cuz she makes me love to write with the enthusiasm she has for my work... LOVE YOU D!

63. School Again

BPOV

It seemed strange to head off to school, and 'normal' life, come Monday. After almost being eaten by sadistic vampires and playing baseball with werewolves, school seemed too tame. Where was the excitement, the adrenaline rush? I was starting to realize how bored my family must be, spending hours on end amongst clueless humans, listening to teachers drone on and on about things they already knew, and trying not to bite the petty teenagers around them who were concerned more about acne and alcohol and who was doing what with whom than anything important or meaningful. Frankly, I was amazed they had lasted this long without snapping. I was personally considering biting a few of them myself, but didn't want to get my mouth dirty.

Alice gave me a strange look. "Care to tell me why I see you suddenly going on a rampage and biting certain students who get on everybody's nerves?" she whispered.

Edward had seen her vision and was grinning in amusement. I laughed. "I can't believe you guys have been here for over two years and some of these kids are still alive and in one piece. You have better restraint than I do."

"That doesn't bode particularly well for your newborn year, Bella," Edward teased. He knew as well as I did that I wouldn't have a problem with bloodlust.

"Thanks," I grumbled, rolling my eyes and whacking him with my pencil. I didn't want to hurt my hand. He whimpered and cradled his hand, pouting at me. I froze for a second, believing I may have actually hurt him, but then detected the twinkle in his eyes. So he wanted to tease, did he? Well two can play that game.

"Aww, poor baby. Would you like me to kiss it better?" I purred seductively, reaching out for his hand. His eyes darkened with passion as he laid his hand gently in mine and nodded. I held his hand up to my mouth, placing kisses on his flesh and teasing him with my tongue. He swallowed hard and started shifting in his seat. I grinned. "All better now."

He glared playfully at me as I gave him his hand back. "Yes, but now I'm aching elsewhere."

My lips twitched, and I replied as seriously as I could manage. "Maybe you should use an icepack to help reduce the swelling."

Alice giggled, clapping her hand over her mouth so she wouldn't draw attention to herself, but it was too late. The teacher heard and frowned at her.

"Is there a problem, Miss Cullen?"

Alice put on her 'innocent' face. "Yes, Mrs. Butler, my brother has a, uh, little problem and needs to get an icepack from the nurse."

"Do you need to go to the nurse now, Edward?" Mrs. Butler inquired, her expression softening as her eyes lit on Edward's face. If looks could kill, Alice would be a pile of ash from the look he gave her. He said something I couldn't hear, but I knew him well enough by now to know he was threatening her.

"No thank you, Mrs. Butler. I'm feeling much better now, thank you," Edward politely declined. The teacher nodded and went back to her boring lecture and glassy eyed students.

At the lunch table, Alice announced, "School picture day is this Thursday!" She waggled her eyebrows meaningfully at Rose and me. I felt my conscience perk up and take notice. My guts twisted and guilt crept up within me. I sighed heavily.

"Look, guys, I don't think we should actually play those pranks."

"What?" Rose shrieked indignantly. "Where's your backbone, girl?"

"Huh. I didn't see that coming," Alice mused in confusion.

"Remember what Carlisle said last night at the victory party?" I reminded them. The all rolled their eyes and nodded.