Chapter 17

• Dedicated to Uhm.... Some one... Umm... Dixie!!!! yeah.... This is for you!!

17. Dinner with Jake

BPOV

I puttered anxiously around the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on everything. The table was set and had a vase of wildflowers in the center. The kitchen was sparkling clean; all the dishes were washed and put away. I peeked in the oven needlessly once again. I wanted everything to be perfect for tonight. The delicious aroma of lasagna permeated the air throughout the entire house. I was serving garlic bread and salad along with it. I had the glasses already filled with ice, and I had made iced tea.

I heard the front door open.

"Bella?" Charlie called out, shutting the front door. "It smells wonderful!"

I meandered out of the kitchen to watch him hang up his jacket and gun belt. I smiled at him.

"How was your day?" I asked pleasantly.

"Not bad. A few minor issues, no major ones. I do like living in a small town," he returned easily. "Looks like we have about ten minutes until Billy and Jacob get here, so I'm going to go get freshened up, okay?"

"Sounds good, Dad. I've got everything under control down here."

He dashed upstairs to his room, and I resumed my nervous pacing around the living room this time. I had already been through here twice making sure everything was cleaned and dusted. I tweaked the pillows on the couch, though of course they didn't really need it. I spent a few minutes gazing at all my old pictures Charlie had displayed prominently around the room. I wondered if I shouldn't hide a few of them when he wasn't looking. I wasn't sure I wanted Edward seeing those unflattering pictures of me.

Just when I thought I would go insane, I heard a knock on the front door. I actually jumped a bit at the noise, my heart rate accelerating. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and answered the door. I saw Billy in his wheelchair and, as I expected, the sight of his kind old face immediately brought back childhood memories. I didn't really recognize Jacob as well as I did Billy. I could only see a hint of the boy he used to be. I wasn't sure I would have known him under different circumstances. I stood back so they could enter, Jacob pushing Billy's chair.

Once they were inside, I shut the door and gave Billy a hug.

"It's so good to see you again, Billy," I enthused gently. "How are your daughters?"

"They've upped and moved away. It's just Jacob and me at home now," he chuckled. "But they're happy, and they come back to visit now and again."

"Hi, Jacob. I'm glad your dad has you, at least for a few more years. It can't be easy for either of you though."

He ducked his head shyly. "We manage. Dinner smells really good though. Neither of us are particularly talented in the kitchen."

"Well, I made plenty, so no one will go hungry tonight," I teased. "I'm pretty sure there's enough even for a growing teenage boy."

Charlie had made his way downstairs, and all three males laughed appreciatively at my attempt to break the ice. Just then, the oven timer buzzed, so I excused myself and rushed to take the food out of the oven. Jacob strolled in behind me.

"Anything I can do to help?" he offered, leaning against the counter.

"Umm, sure. Do you want to get the drinks ready, at least for you and Billy? There's tea, beer, and water."

"Does Charlie know you're offering me beer?" he joked easily. I rolled my eyes.

"Have you ever tasted beer?"