"As you all know, the Yule ball will be held on Christmas Eve. All students are permitted to be able to dance once it arrives. I expect every one of you to practice until your feet bleed, but that is against the school rules. So I'll settle for a few sessions a week until the ball arrives." 

Students stared to whisper to one another. The boys in annoyance and the girls in excitement. Rosie turned to me.

"It's a dance! I love dances."

"I've never danced before." I mumbled, fiddling with my fingers.

"Silence!" Snape called and all the students shut their mouths. "The Yule ball is not for excitement and crazy child shenanigans. We must show respect when representing the house of Slytherin. Girls must be graceful and boys must be respectful."

"Well that's Malfoy out of the way." Rosie snickered to me, but Severus had heard what she had said and was now looking in our direction.

"Ms. Smith."

"Yes?" She asked timidly, her shyness began to show.

"Come forward." 

Rosie got up hesitantly and walked over to Snape. He placed his hands on her waist as he said: "Put one hand on my shoulder and the other in my hand. Mr. Filtch if you would."

The caretaker turned on some classical music and students laughed at how uncomfortable Rosie looked dancing with my father. Even I joined in.

"Don't laugh, Katheryn. You'll have your go next." Snape said, not even looking at me. I instantly shut up, I didn't want to dance with my father. Talk about embarrassing. "Everybody grab a partner. Don't leave anyone out. Get up boys, or I'll give you detention for not co-operating."

Draco was the first to get up, and to my annoyance he came over to me. He gave no time for me to protest as he dragged me to the middle of the room and held onto my waist.

"What are you doing you bone idled toad!"

"Dancing, which isn't what you're doing. Have you got two left feet?" He asked rhetorically.

"Why are you dancing with me?"

"All the other girls are obsessed with me, so I chose the one that I can tolerate instead."

"Rosie's not obsessed with you." I pointed out.

"But if I chose her, you would have screamed at me."

"Fair point. Let's just get this over with so I can get as far away from you as possible." I huffed and continued trying to dance even though I had no clue how.

◙ ◙ ◙

The dancing session was finally over and I only stepped on Malfoy's feet five times. That's a new record. Rosie and I had gone to get our dresses. Rosie had done what I suggested and went with a red lace dress, whereas I had completely changed my mind and got a black dress that shaded into different colours of purple and a bit of pink. All we needed now was a date.

To our luck, Ash came up to us during the day and he seemed to be very nervous. It was clear as day that he was going to ask one of us to the ball, but I was waiting for Cedric to ask me, even though I hadn't seen him all day.

"Hey, Ash." Rosie greeted.

"Hey, Rosie." He replied absentmindedly. "Kate? Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah sure."

"Do you- um, would you like to go to the ball with me?" Ash asked nervously.

"Oh um. Ash, I would but I was kind of hoping that Cedric would ask me." I tried to reply as polite as I could.