Chapter Eleven: Don't Fall in Love

Start from the beginning

My dad gaped at me with his mouth wide open and scratched his head softly. He looked confused as he said, "I was going to ask 'Are you two friends now?' But you didn't let me finish, Wait, you like this guy? Romantically?"

I flushed a deep red as I looked away quickly. What the hell was I doing? I knew that this was probably the most emotion I had shown throughout my lifetime. I had to get a hold of myself but I didn't know how. This all felt so new to me that it was like my mouth had a mind of its own. My brain was no longer cooperating with what should and shouldn't be said out loud. My head was a mess of thoughts spinning round and round.

Did I like Nico romantically or was I just taken in by his charm? All the little things he did must have gotten to me. Or at least, that's what I told myself.

Like, when he first showed up at the shop and I opened my eyes to see a guy with dyed blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes staring back at me. The way his husky voice sounded in my ear and how I could still feel his hot breath on my skin even after we parted. Our chance meeting at the park and his sweet gesture of waiting for me patiently until I woke up. Keeping me company at the mall despite me being rude to him and my failed efforts to drive him away. Walking me home even though he really didn't have to. The way he understood what I wanted to say without even having to say it out loud.

"Mikhail." I looked over at my dad because of the sudden change in his tone. He was looking at me blankly as he stood up and sat beside me on the couch. He bent over slightly and leaned his forearms on his knees. He clasped his hands together tightly and took in a deep breath, "Please, God, please don't fall in love with that boy. You can fall in love with anyone other than the Delacroix's son." His voice sounded strained as he spoke.

"What?" I frowned slightly getting more confused by his words. In the first place I never said I was in love with Nico. To fall in love with someone I've only known for a short time was illogical.

"He's involved with bad stuff, Mikhail. A life with him will never be simply a walk in the park. It'll be a walk in the park and a possible gunshot to the head. I know you. I know you want to live a quiet life. Nico can not guarantee you something like that. You hate being looked after and if you get together with Nico you'd have personal bodyguards around you all the time."

"Dad, seriously. Where is this coming from? In the first place, I never said I was in love." I said, my frown getting deeper. I had never seen my dad get so serious with a complexed look on his face. I was troubled and didn't know how to react.

"Mikhail, I'm not as much as an idiot as you like to believe. I notice that look in your eyes." He picked up his head and looked me . I saw visible pain as he spoke, "I was about your age when I met your mother and I had the same exact look that you did just now. For me, I fell in love the moment I saw her walking in the halls. She was the only girl I thought about day and night. We dated, we got married, and together we had a healthy, beautiful baby boy. Life was going great. We were finally able to quit our horrible jobs and start up a flower shop that your mother had always wanted. We felt like we were at the top of the world. Nothing could touch us. Or so we thought."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I'm only telling you this because life can screw you over without even a warning. Your mother was diagnosed with cancer when it was too late. She left me alone with a child to take care of. I didn't know what the hell I was doing. You were so strong willed that you didn't even cry when I picked you up from your grandmother's. However, I wasn't able to be strong for you. You and your mother are two of the best things that have ever happened to me. I cried and cried while you were already thinking about how to handle our financial issues."