Chapter 15: Blackout

Robin

"The exalt is to be executed at the castle on the morrow. I heard it from the King's own lips, sire."

"Exactly as you predicted, Robin," Chrom said, turning away from the Feroxi messenger to look at me. It was four days after the Shepherds and the khans had been informed of our plan, and we had just set up camp not too far outside the Plegian capital. We'd tried to hide as best we could, but the scout that Flavia had sent out only two hours ago had found us fairly easily.

"So far, yes." I bit my bottom lip. "But tomorrow will be the true test."

"Chin up, there!" Flavia said. "Show some confidence! It's your thinking that's got us this far. The plan is risky, but only as much as is called for."

"We'll find a way to see it through, Robin," Chrom said. "Don't worry. I trust you. This time tomorrow, we'll be swapping stories with Emm on the road back to Ferox."

Even as he spoke, I could see the anxious look in his eyes. We were all nervous – one wrong move and the exalt's life would be forfeit.

I hope you're right, Chrom.

We had been lucky to get into Plegia with little trouble from their army, but the Ylissean soldiers had not been so fortunate. There were even less of them now than had been originally reported before they'd marched, and the healing tent had been heaving when they'd first joined up with us. Even today it was quite busy, with many men returning for more vulneraries. I was worried that we wouldn't have enough soldiers fit to fight.

As soon as I was able, I moved away from our small group to gather another report on everyone's health. Chrom followed me, needing to sort out a few tasks of his own. Between us, we shouted orders to passing soldiers, all of whom were jittering with anticipation and excitement. Towards the end of our commands, I started to feel light-headed, so I stopped still as Chrom gave the last of them out.

"You and you," he said, halting next to me and pointing at two men. "Check all divisions and make sure that they have adequate supplies."

"We'll need to check the supplies of the Shepherds later, too," I said, scribbling notes down onto a piece of parchment. The world was starting to spin slightly, and my hand was shaking so much I was certain no one would ever be able to read my writing.

"I think Cordelia's doing that right now."

I smiled, trying to block out my nerves and my physical discomfort. "She reminds me of Frederick, sometimes."

"Indeed. Phila once confessed to me that she would have been lost without her help." Chrom sighed. "I only hope that she will continue to be in a position to say such things tomorrow. She isn't just a key component of Emm's rescue. She's family to me, just as Harvey was. I still can't believe..." He stared down at his hands, clenching and unclenching his fists.

I reached out and covered them with mine. "Phila will live tomorrow, as will Emmeryn, I promise. We'll save them both. Then we can focus on taking back full control of Ylisstol, and –"

I gasped as a bolt of pain suddenly tore through my head. The dizziness that had been toying with me flooded through my system, rushing across my eyes in a blurred fuzz as the world melded together. All the sounds of the camp turned into a single, muffled noise in my ears that was impossible to decipher.

Then I was falling, and all sight and sound was lost.

***

The sorcerer who'd tried to assassinate Emmeryn was standing in front of me. Everything else was pitch black, so dark that I shouldn't have been able to see a thing.