Chapter 8: Hiccup

I raced after Merida on foot. Which was, by the way, not the best judgment on my part. The two young soldiers holding me back were now facing me, swords drawn. They looked about ten and were nearly identical with curly orange hair and freckles. They kind of looked like Merida. I drew my fire sword, but didn't ignite the Monstrous Nightmare jelly. I tried reasoning with them.

            "Let me follow her! Please, I won't hurt her." I said. It was a bit of a lie, but I doubted I'd see them again. They moved out of the way and I called Toothless. Together we flew in the direction that Merida was heading on her horse. Eventually, we reached a clearing in the forest with fifteen huge stones in a wide circle. We landed in the middle, and I walked over to one of the stones. It had some ancient writing on it, but I couldn't read it. Fishlegs would love this place.

            "Aaaaugh!" A shout pierced the silence as a figure jumped out from behind the stone. I jumped back, narrowly missing the blade of a broadsword. Merida stalked closer to me, sword in hand. "I know ya'd follow me, Vikin'. It was a bad idea to fight me here though. I have been here many times and I know this place like I know mah own bow."

            "I don't want to fight you, but if you continue to hurt my people, I will." I threatened. Merida screamed and launched herself at me. I underestimated her again. I barely had enough time to block her well-placed blows with my fire sword, much less fight back. She was incredibly skilled, but she focused on me too much. Toothless made his way to her side and shot a plasma blast near her feet. She flew through the air and landed on her back. Before she could even move, I was already kneeling over her. I pinned her down and threw her sword to the side. She glared at me.

            "Ye won, Viking. Do yer worst. I don't fear ya." She snapped. I never intended to kill her. Why would she think I would? I took in our surroundings and the situation. I was a strange and powerful Chief who can keep one of the most dangerous creatures in the known world under check, my people have constantly disrespected her, one even made an attempt on her father, and I had followed her into a secluded part of the woods where I was leaning over her with my fire sword dangerously close. I stood and sheathed the sword.

            "I don't wish to hurt you. I just want to talk." I said quietly. She tilted her head to the side, giving me a confused look.

            "What now?" She asked, still on the ground. I smiled and extended a hand to help her up. She bat my hand away, looking slightly annoyed. Well, at least it didn't look like she was mad at me anymore. She stood and brushed herself off like she hadn't just lost a sword fight. She looked me in the eyes and after a moment or two she addressed me. "Alright, Viking. I'm guessing ya followed me because of mah attack on yer sweetheart. I spared her. What more do ye want to know?"

            I was dumbstruck. I thought she'd dodge the reason I was here. I really have to stop being surprised by her. "I...um...how?" I asked. Smooth. She laughed at my question. What started as giggles turned into full-on snorting. It was oddly cute.

            "That's watcha say? Ah mean I was expectin' something like ah wave of questions, but not this!" She continued to laugh at my lack of questions. You know, she's right. You normally ask a lot of questions, but you happen to be speechless now. It's actually kind of funny, I thought to myself. I let out a laugh and felt Toothless at my side.

            "You're right. I should probably ask questions, but I can wait. I bet they're looking for us." I stated. Her face fell. Once her smile was gone I wanted to bring it back. I shook my head and made my way over to Toothless.

            "Aye." She said. "Although I wouldn't be sure that the Lords haven't started another fight." Merida rolled her eyes.

            "If they have, what do we do?" I asked.

            "Once we stop the fight, I'll have to break tradition again and show them mercy..."Merida trailed off. "Well, first someone'll get a right punch to gut for startin' it, then mercy." Merida called to her horse and, with surprising ease, mounted and faced me. I gaped at the horse. It was a dark grey horse larger that a Gronkle and taller than a Nadder. "Well, Viking, are ye coming?"

            I smiled up at her. "I have a name, you know."

            "Maybe, but I like callin' ye 'Viking'" She replied.

            I fake pouted a little and laughed. "Alright, than I'll call you... Curls?" She flinched at that, so I backpedaled. "Or, how about Arrow?" She looked back at me and smiled.

            "Okay, Viking. Arrow it is." She replied and took off into the forest. If she thinks she's going to race me, she has another thing coming.

            "Okay, Toothless! Lets show Arrow how fast you can fly." Toothless took off into the air. "Yeah, baby! Woohoo!" I shouted as we did a mid-air flip. We took off above the trees, feeling better than ever.