Chapter 1: Merida

It has been nearly five years since I accidentally turned Mum into a bear. More importantly, it has been only one year since I was crowned Queen of Dunbroch, my home. Tonight is my first meeting with the leader of a potential ally to the clans. The new lords Macintosh, Dingwall, and MacGuffin will be present as well as my mother and father. My mother is currently preparing me for their arrival in the study.

"Ya have ta remember, Merida, to never shout during the meeting. Of course the 'men' will beat their chests and fight..." Mum lectured.

Of course, I remember.

"You must be a quiet but powerful presence and...Merida! Are you even listening to me?" She shouted. Ha! The irony. "Merida you must pay attention. These meetings are very difficult to keep peaceful. Need I remind you that once we were on the brink of war with this tribe." Mum stated. She unclipped the brooch that she had received from a distant land with a symbol I almost recognized and set it on the table in front of me. My father had given it to her after he made temporary peace with the tribe I am going to meet.

I stared at the gold brooch and realized the she was, as usual, right. Not only do I not know the chief of this tribe, but I also don't know his or her customs. What if this leader does not accept me as a queen? It is very rare for a woman to rule on her own.

"I know Mum. This is not something I am taking lightly, but you've been lecturing me for the past three hours. I need to breathe." I pleaded. Mum didn't react. She didn't even look surprised. Mum just stood in front of me without saying a word. Seconds turned into minutes until I realized that she could no longer order me around. As my mother and advisor she could assist me, but I ultimately made the decisions.

"Oh! I am goin' riding and will be back before the clans arrive, Mum. Until then, make sure everything is set and meet me in the receiving room when I return." I commanded.

"Finally. Very good use of your diction and recourses, Merida. I will do as you wish. I'm..."

I didn't catch the rest of it. In only a few minutes I was out the door, down the stairs, past the courtyard, and riding Angus into the woods. I let out a yell as I started my target course, notching an arrow and hitting my bull's-eye in its center. Angus ran faster as I completed the course. I hit target after target that I had personally set years ago. Finally we arrived at my newest addition to my route. A wooden post as tall as me and wider than, well Dad, stood fifteen paces away with my target drawn on.

"What'd'you think, Angus? Think I can do it this time?" I asked my horse. He neighed and seemed confident, so I was too. I released my first arrow, which hit the center. No surprise there. Then I released a second, and a third both splitting the arrow before it in half.

"Okay Angus, here I go". I sent my fourth arrow, followed immediately by my fifth so that the two would touch before hitting the target. I heard a loud crack and went to check on my work. All four of the arrows were split in half with the fifth stuck deep in the wood.

"Yes! Angus, I did it! You've got to come and see this." I did a short celebration dance and turned my attention to Angus. He stomped his hoof and started back toward the castle.

"Ugh! Fine, we'll head back. I still 'ave time, ya know." I assured him and myself. I climbed onto his back and we raced for home in order to salvage what truly little time I had left. "Lets hope the clans don' decide ta arrive early. I would like to avoid Macintosh's jeering for as long as I can."

When I arrived I was rushed into the castle, where I then hurried to my room. In little time, I had changed into the cobalt dress that I had prepared with a soft neckline and wide gold belt with my family's crest. Maudie, my ladies maid, helped me arrange my hair into a bun and placed my crown so that it held the bangs I have been trying to grow out of. Looking in the mirror, I realized. I kind of look like Mum.

I arrived in the receiving room just in time to see the enormous double doors to the room thrown open by the 'dignitaries' of the other clans each playing their clan song a little too loud.

"Remember to smile, Merida" Mum whispered across Dad.

"Aye, don' bother the lass Elinor. She'll do just fine. They've already accepted her as their queen, and so far haven't dared challenge her... again." Dad chided. I tried not to laugh as I remembered when the lords' sons (who had not yet inherited their titles) attempted to prevent my coronation. I had pinned them down with my arrows, but I would not kill them (as custom dictated) in an act of mercy. Well, when have I ever really been traditional? So far those lads have yet to live down that embarrassment or to further object to my claim to the crown.

"Queen Merida, we have sailed from our homes to meet here and discuss the future of the four clans with the Viking tribe. Thank you for your diplomacy and hospitality in this movement toward peace." The new Lord Macintosh recited. Coming from him, it sounded strange.

"And I thank you all for your presence at this meeting. I value your opinions..." I responded "and appreciate your loyalty." I locked eyes with Macintosh, silently stopping any mischief or humiliation he may have been thinking of causing this time. "Let the leaders of the clans as well as myself and my advisor move to the privacy of the discussion room past these doors." I motioned to the left as Mum had reminded me to do earlier. "Let everyone else join my father in the cellar for dinner and drinks."

Everyone kneeled as I exited with Mum and the lords.

"I bet Dad is telling the servants to only bring out the little glasses." I whispered to the lords. They, in turn, laughed. No doubt they are remembering how drunk our fathers were after the competition for my hand.

"At least I convinced my Dad to wear briefs this time." Lord Dingwall joked. "There's no way I'd let him repeat the 'Celebration Incident'". Lord Dingwall's father was hilariously embarrassed when he mooned the other leaders after Dingwall hit the center during that same archery competition where I won my own hand more than five years ago. It apparently still haunts him. However, we always laugh when someone brings it up.

"Hush, all of you." Mum chided as we reached the discussion table.

"Can she still order us around? She's no longer the queen." Macintosh asked. MacGuffin decided at that moment to respond but it just sounded like a jumble of noises.

"She is still me Mum." I shrugged as we took our places around the table. The discussion table was hexagonal and made of a dark-colored wood native to Dingwall's land. Its surface was a three-dimensional map of the four clans' territories as well as a few of the surrounding nations and islands. I sat at the head facing the door. Mum stood behind my chair and the lords took their respective seats. Macintosh sat on my right and MacGuffin and Dingwall sat to my left. The newly elected Voice of the People sat on the other side of Macintosh. Once we were ready, the doors opened and the announcer introduced the Viking Chief.

"Announcing Hiccup Haddock the Third, Chief of the Viking Tribe of Berk."