Chapter 14

I woke up, not knowing what day it was. I didn't move, because I felt someone playing with my hair. I didn't know who it was, but it felt good. So I just stayed there. I heard giggling outside. I heard footsteps come in, things rattling around, and footsteps fading. But the playing with the hair never stopped. "Alex. . . Why are you playing with her hair?" I heard Maddie's voice. I felt relieved, that it was Alex and not anyone else, "You've been here ever sense she. . . She got struck down." I tried not to sit up, still listening to her. "She could be gone, Alex." I felt Alex stop moving his hands. He was probably glaring at Maddie, "She is not dead. Ember is the most beautiful, amazing, and stubborn dragon I know. She will fight til the end." I felt my heart sink. He cared for me. He loved a stubborn-ass dragon who wouldn't give up. His hands starting messing with my hair again. Maddie probably left. When all I heard was Alex's slow, and steady breaths, I shifted around in my 'Sleep'. Alex pulled away immediately, probably thinking he caused it. I slowly sat up. Alex looked relieved and scared. "Hey. . ." I rasped as I tried talking, "What happened?" He didn't say anything, he just surged forward and hugged me. I hugged back. I could barely breath, but I didn't want to miss this moment. He let go, and showed me a mirror. My hair was braided, with flowers and gemstones carefully put in place. It was amazing! "Did you do this, Alex?" He nodded, and I laughed. I took my gaze off the mirror, and looked at Alex. I kissed him. This time it was different. I didn't hesitate. No second thoughts. And I didn't know it was coming. I broke the kiss, and looked at him. His eyes looked glassy, like he was about to cry. "I love you, Ember." I almost went and pounced on him, but I hurted. "I love you, too, Alex." I fell down to my bed as Alex came next to me. I heard giggling, but I didn't care. Alex was mine. And no one will take him away from me. I heard Nathan talking. Maddie and Bella were talking, too, but quietly. "Maddison. . ." I think Nathan might've kissed her again because Maddie cursed at him. I felt warm inside. I forgot about the world around me. I concentrated on Alex, who was right here, all mine, for as long as I wanted. Or, I thought as long as I wanted. Alex lips touched mine. My tongue challenged his lips. No boundaries today. He was mine. My hand went up his shirt. I felt scars. Maybe battle scars. I didn't know. Nor right now. . . did I care. I didn't care right now if they were battle scars. All that mattered, was the person in bed with me. Someone who would risk everything they knew to save me. Someone who cared for me. A person I could call mine, and only mine.