Chapter 2

We arrived at camp a couple minutes later. As the bus came to a stop, I started to get off after Maddie but was stopped by people. I ended getting off last because no one would let me off. As I was stepping down the steps with my bag, one girl bumped into me and knocked me down. "Are you okay?" I looked up and saw Alex, standing there with a hand held out, "I saw what she did. Katrina can be a jackass sometimes. . ." I was just staring at him, "Well. . . most times shes a complete jackass." The wind was ripping at his hair, and his blue eyes were looking straight at me. I finally shook out of my trance and took his hand. He helped me up and he bent down and picked my bag up. "Mind if I help you?" I stared at him blankly, not knowing what to say. "Uhhh. . . S-s-sure." I could feel heat rising in my veins. I thought I could've felt a blush in my cheeks, but I knew that was crazy. Dragons don't have feelings, nor will they ever. It just wasn't in our nature. At least, that's what I told myself, anyway. But, I could be wrong. There was a lot of things I didn't know about Talon, and some I'd probably never know. Maybe we did have feelings, but Talon didn't want us to know.
The next day I saw Alex beating up some kid outside. I went closer only to hear Alex tell the kid, "No one hurts my friends." I went closer, and the kid that Alex was beating up stared at me. I felt the wind rip thru my hair. The boy threw a punch at Alex, and I was sure he was hit. I felt my fists tighten up. Then as I got closer, the boy winked at me. He threw another punch at Alex, like he was trying to catch my attention. I saw him wink again, "Hey girl." I spat a curse at him, then he threw a punch at me. I didn't know what was happening before his fist met my face. My face hurt like I was getting shot. On instinct, I threw a punch back. I hit his stomach, and heard him weakly saying, "You. Are. Beautiful." My veins were on fire. I felt my eyes turning like reptiles. Alex grabbed my arm. And when I turned back to look at him, he looked like he was telling me to stop. "Kiss me, mystery-girl!" I heard the boy scream behind me. I span around and punch him in the face. All the kids started to come around me and him. All I heard was "Fight, fight, fight, fight!"
Alex went to the bully, "So," Alex started to say, "you honestly though you can beat up my friend and get away with it?" I saw the boy nod with anger. I started to walk away with Maddie, only to be separated by another boy. I nodded at Maddie to keep going, and she did. I saw the boys eyes growing larger, like he was drunk. He leaned into me, probably for a kiss. I didn't know what was happening until Alex came up and knocked the boy down. I could've swore I heard Alex tell the boy something. But all I saw was the lips moving, which of course, I could read lips. No on hurts my friends, or takes my girl. It couldn't be! He's a mortal, he knows what I am. He should know better. A dragoness and a mortal can't be together.
After all that, I was avoiding everyone. I was trying to find Maddie and our tent, but I couldn't find her. I heard footsteps behind me, "Hey! Ember wa-" he was cut off by me spinning around a snarling. "I can take care of myself! You know what I am Alex!! We can't be together. . . ever!" My head was spinning around everything. If dragons didn't have emotions. . . then what was I feeling? I saw Alex's face go blank, like I just shot his heart and broken it. Alex stepped closer to me, and grabbed my hand. I tried to pull away, knowing we couldn't do it, but his grip tightened. "We can do it, Ember. You just have to try." My head was still spinning. "You aren't like the other dragons. They don't have feelings, you do, Ember." I broke his gaze, and his grip. I ran into the woods. Alex was just standing there, looking disappointed. I put on my headphones, and put my music on.