44

Cassie caught up with the family in the compound, she slowed down as she got through the gates and listened carefully to locate them all.

She ran upstairs where Elijah was packing a few items of clothing into a suitcase, he wasn't particularly packing, he was throwing them in before zipping them up. Hayley was grasping items belonging to Hope, blankets, bottles.

Rebekah, Freya and Niklaus was somewhere completely different, Nik was in the car, ready for Elijah, Hope and Hayley to get in. Usually Elijah would have agreed to stay and fight, but he had to make sure his family was safe before he could return back home. He was expecting Cassandra and Rebekah to do the same.

"We'll get to the car and make sure they're safe" Elijah walked up to Cassie and told her the plan "nobody will be left behind"

Cassie nodded her head and took a case of Elijah and carried it downstairs. She placed it by the back door where Klaus had pulled the car up and she watched Rebekah run through and then Hayley with Hope. Lastly, Elijah lifted the case she had dropped.

"Cassandra, we need to go" Elijah urged her, throwing the case into the trunk of the car.

It infuriated her, how people from her past have created a monster so strong enough that he can drive the most powerful vampires from their home and into hiding. No, Cassandra wasn't going to go. She was going to stay, fight puppet to puppet.

Lucien had cut off his strings and it was now time for Cassie to cut off hers. "I'm not going, Elijah"

"What?" He asked "you can't stay, it's too dangerous"

"He has forced you out of your homes, I'd be damned if he thinks he's won" she said, turning to leave but her hand had been caught by Elijah's.

"I'm not leaving you here" he said "he'll kill you"

"I'm not going to let him. If we all leave now it will Give Lucien plenty of time to catch up with us. I'll hold him off, as soon as I can, I'll catch up with you" she said, her hearing taking her off course as she heard footsteps come in to the compound.

She walked forward and kissed Elijah, wanting to stay there with him, or just run off. But nothing will get done if she just ran. "I love you, I'll be with you soon, now go"

She pushed him away and Elijah was stunned to even say anything else. He heard the calls of his family and slid in to the front seat of the car. Cassie watched as they drove off speedily, finally realising she was truly alone.

"Knock knock knock" Lucien shouted in the middle of the compound "anybody home?"

"Nobody of importance" Cassandra walked out with her arms folded, realising Lucien had an incredibly annoying smirk on his face "Hayley's gone with Hope, what is your plan C?"

"Oh dear, well that really has ruined everything" Lucien said "it's lucky that I was never truly after Hayley, you see, Cassie, as what you have done, I saw these events fold out in my mind, knowing you'd put your dear love and his family first and hold me back"

"You were tricking me" she realised, backing away when she knew there was no where she would go.

"And now, we have an original one on one, come on Cassandra. Puppet to puppet?" He repeated words she had said many times before. Oh what irony.

"You seem a little too confident, seeing as I've beat you on multiple occasions" Cassandra readied herself for the fight, posing in a stance that will allow her to jump forward.

"Alas, the previous battles were fights of wit, to see who is the master manipulator. But now it's the fight of strength, and you have taken out a whole coven and it's entirety, but I've done that plus more in less than.." he glanced at his watch "ten minutes"

"Well, put your money where your mouth is?" She shrugged "I wonder the best way to kill one of your kind"

"Id love to see you try"

Lucien was the first to make his move, it was obvious to her the way he wanted to go. Cassandra ducked, taking Lucien's wrist and flipping him onto his back, cracking the concrete beneath her feet.

"Is that all you've got?" She laughed, her foot resting on his chest to stop him from jumping up, but she didn't really evaluate the other options. Lucien took her ankle and pushed her down.

"I'm just going easy on you" Lucien caught his breath as he swung her and hit her against the wall.

Cassandra let out a huge groan as she felt the warm trickle of blood fall down her back. She had definitely gotten herself into something she might not come out of. Not this time.

Managing to stretch her arms out, Cassandra took hold of one of the wooden torches that hung on the wall. She hit Lucien around the face with it, breaking his jaw.

Cassandra stood upright and kicked Lucien's jaw, dislodging it even more. Every time Lucien stabilised, crouching on the floor, Cassandra hit him again and so on. "You're an overrated piece of..."

Lucien jumped up, it was all a bit of a blur after that, with the wounds to her head, and the loss of a lot of blood, it was hard to heal as quick as she could. Not when she was constantly being beaten over and over again.

She felt a scratch on her arm, it stung, but she could focus properly. Was she fighting back? Was she just taking it? All she could see was a blur.

The pain stopped when she heard footsteps that neither belonged to her nor Lucien. "I promised the Mikaelson's a show, I promised they'd be forced to watch you die"

"It's a shame I shan't be here to catch the show"

And with that Lucien had disappeared. Cassandra stumbled backwards, her back hit the wall and she slid down. Her knees brought up to her chest and her arms resting on her knees, her hands intertwined.

She could feel her lips dry out further and the wounds heal. All but one.

Cassie looked down at the gaping hole Lucien had made. She was bitten, game over.

"Cassandra" Elijah stood at the door, her knees blocking the sight of the bite. It gave her enough time to take the sleeve of her top and pull it over to mask the wound. He walked over swiftly and knelt down to her, looking her up and down "your head" Elijah took hold of her chin and Cassie rested her head on his hand. He examined the wounds, not knowing the real issue.

"I'm fine, don't worry I'm fine" she repeated, taking his hand and pushing up to stand up. Elijah stood with her, catching her when she lost her balance.

Elijah held her as he tried to stand her upright, but there was something off about her. "You're obviously not"

She started to cough, pushing Elijah away as a large amount of blood exited through her mouth. "Elijah I have to leave" she sprung it upon him "indefinitely"

"What? Not in this state you aren't" he refused "come on, you need to sit down"

He tugged her ever so slightly and wasn't there to catch her. Cassie fell to the floor crying in pain, screaming for it all to stop.

"Cassandra" Elijah lifted her again, this time skimming her arm and accidentally lifting her sleeve. Elijah looked down at it, a guy wrenching feeling swiftly consumed him and he tried to not throw up.

This can't be happening.