16

Cassandra sat on the bank above the river, she watched as the water gently flowed down, making a relaxing sound and the sight wasn't bad either. She stared at how the water foamed over at the sides, the blue water turning almost white.

The sun arose from behind the trees, creating a merge of red, orange and yellow in the sky. She breathed in the crisp, cold, morning air of the city she grew up in. Cassandra was happy and it was just because of what she was about to do, everything was going to change now.

She stood from her seat and looked down into the river. It was the perfect plan, something she never knew was going to happen, but it had, it worked.

Needless to say, Cassandra did feel bad, she felt guilt niggling inside of her. But this was for the best now, by the time everything was finished, the Mikaelson's will have fled town, she didn't get to say goodbye to Elijah, not properly.

Elijah was sound asleep on the bed in the cell he had chosen. He breathed heavily, looking somewhat peaceful. Cassie had knelt on the floor beside him, her thin fingers running through the side of his hair.

"I'm really sorry for what is to come" she whispered with remorse "please know this is for your own good as well as mine"

Elijah didn't reply, he wasn't even aware that anyone was around him.

"I know that if everything was simpler, I would indeed love you" she said "but you won't see me from now on, know that I am sorry, know that I wish things were different"

Cassie kissed his forehead softy, not wanting to wake him up "I guess this is goodbye, Elijah Mikaelson" she stood to her feet and left.

It was a quick goodbye, she couldn't have done anymore without risking him waking up. But she was too far gone now, she couldn't stop, it wasn't fair on herself.

Her dress brushed against her ankles as her hand grasped what she was hiding inside of the netting. It was a golden dagger, incrusted with small, red gems and carved with a very intricate pattern.

She lifted it, so the point fell in line with her stomach, Cassandra took a deep breath in, and smiled. She took one last look out onto the world she grew up in, knowing everything will be different.

And she plunged the dagger into her stomach.

It caused her to topple forward, a vision of white and lilac falling through the air until she splashed into the water. Dead.

She chose the river as it would wash away the smell of blood and the scent of her.

Everything was now going to change.