xxxi. I MISSED YOU

[REQUEST]

The worst thing about having a super soldier boyfriend is that he was always out fighting crime. Not only was that worrying but it also meant that sometimes Bucky could be away for weeks at a time on a mission.

This was one of those times.

Although, you could continue on with your life as normal, you caught yourself thinking about him every so often. When making a cup of coffee you'd think about the last time Bucky drank something. When someone made a joke you wondered whether Bucky would have laugh too. You ached to hear his laugh again.

Many of your friends had told you it was normal to feel that way about your other half being gone but you knew it was different. When Bucky was gone you knew there was a chance he wouldn't come back.

"(Y/N)?" the familiar voice of your best friend called from across the room of your office complex. She beckoned you over to her desk and, hesitantly, you stood up to see what she was so eager to tell you. "Go home." She squeals, collecting your belongings and pressing them into your chest.

"I can't just go home. I have work to do. I'll be fired if I just leave half way through the day." You rush, as she begins forcing you into an elevator. "If you're fired I'll pay your rent. Just trust me and go home." She shouts as the door of the elevator shuts leaving you in silence by yourself.

You lean your head back against the wall of the elevator. Your mind immediately refers back to your memories of Bucky. It may sound stupid but you two would ride the elevators up and down the Avengers tower because of how funny it was to confuse F.R.I.D.A.Y.

If you closed your eyes, you could almost hear Bucky's laugh and see his bright blue eyes filling with tears from giggling so much.

Your thoughts were interrupted by the ding of the elevator, stopping at the ground floor. Your eyes shot open and you walked out of the elevator and into the car park. The entire car journey was filled with tension as you worried about being fired and what could have been so bad at work that your best friend wanted you to go home. You grabbed your keys and bag as your approached your apartment. Opening the door, you swore that you could hear the faint footsteps of someone in your kitchen. Bucky wasn't supposed to be back up for another week and that meant that none of the Avengers could be at your house either. Remembering that one self defense lesson Steve gave you, you picked up the knife in the fruit bowl near the entrance of your place, readying it in your hands.

"I didn't know whether you wanted chocolate or vanilla so I bought both." Bucky states, holding two tubs of ice cream in either hand before he sets them down on the counter. You freeze up, dropping the knife, not comprehending the moment but as Bucky opens his arms you don't hesitate to run into them. You wrap your legs around his waist and bury your face in his neck. His body vibrates as he laughs and you almost can't believe he's here after so many weeks. He sets you on the kitchen table and takes your face in his hand. "You're almost more beautiful than the last time I saw you, doll."

You giggle, your cheeks heating but your smile grows further when he tilts your face towards his. He presses his lips to yours and your body loosens, comfortable in his grip. When you pull away he smiles at you, using his thumb to caress your face. "I missed you."

"That's why I brought ice cream."