Boy Meets the Darkside of the Moon

I don't own the rights to these characters those go to BMW/GMW.  Nor do I own the rights or lyrics to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or America's Tin man.

This chapter will be told at times through Josh's POV and sometimes through Shawn's.

Josh POV

     The day I had been waiting for had finally arrived.  As I sit on the stage waiting to present  my valedictorian speech, I spy my family in the crowd.  I smile that we were all together again; all except for Maya. At that thought, my eyes drifted to Riley. She had made the trip without her best friend. I didn't think much of this at first, because Shawn texted he was taking Maya and Katy to upstate New York.
Watching Riley from the stage, I become more alarmed. She claps and smiles at the right moments, but the smile never reached her eyes. I feel my brows scrunch together, as I glance at Cory and Topanga. They don't appear concerned; so, I glance to Eric to see if he picked up on Riley's mood. He holds up 5 fingers, points to his head, and nods. I presume referring to his "5th sense." He wraps his arm around Riley, and she collapsed into his side. I have to trust he has this for now.
I redirect my attention to Mr. Feeny.  Since I am valedictorian, as a past principle and teacher of John Adams High, Feeny was granted the honor of introducing me.  I hear the pride in his voice as he proclaims, Please welcome your John Adams High Valedictorian Joshua Gabriel Mathew's. I divert my attention from my family and head to the podium, hugging Mr. Feeny on my way.
Taking a deep breath to steady myself, I address the crowd.  I am quite a bit younger than my brothers and sisters, because as I like to tease my dad I was a surprise. The crowd chuckles; so, I glance at my dad and he is mouthing stop saying that. I smile briefly before resuming my speech.
As they have met this world before me, I have learned a lot about the world by watching them. I take another breath and find Cory in the crowd. His proud smile calms me. One of my earliest memories is of Cory teaching me about the world. The value of that lesson applies to what we need to learn today.
The world is going to teach us lessons everyday. We are going to make mistakes along the way, and we are going to make good friends, and find love. Even though it will seem like life goes out of its way to teach you these hard lessons; you will realize it's the same life that given you your family and friends too. You will realize that the world is trying to protect you.
We have lived in the safety and shelter of these halls for the last four years. Like Dorothy in the wizard of oz, today begins our next great adventure in this life. The day has come for us to leave the world we' ve known and make the world our own. Maybe as we travel down the yellow brick road of life: we will hunt for intellect, courage, or heart. We may learn that home and family are the most valuable and they were always there; even if we sometimes took them for granted.
Wherever your journey leads you, let me be the first extend my congratulations to the John Adams High graduating class.
After concluding my speech, I look at Riley. She wipes a tear from her cheek, as she stands and claps with our family. As I step of the podium, Mr. Feeny hands me my diploma before I head back to my seat.
As soon as the ceremony concludes, I rush off the stage to greet my family. I hug Riley briefly, knowing something is up with her. Eric: Riley ride home with me? She smiles at Eric and nods. Feeny watches Riley leave and tips his head my way, You and Eric got this. I look him in they eyes and nod, We're on it.
Back at my parents house people are arriving, and I haven't gotten to speak to Eric or Riley. She has spent most of the day with Morgan, my mom and dad, talking on the couch in the living room but I can still tell something is off. I try to keep her in sight. The doorbell rings announcing Andrew's arrival. I hug him in greeting. He's always been like a brother to me. I make the the rounds introducing him, And of course you remember Ri-but she's no longer on the couch.
Mom and Dad where did Riley go? Mom looks up surprised that Riley isn't still there. Huh, I don't know bathroom maybe? I excuse myself from Andrew, and run up to check but she isn't there. I head down to the kitchen expecting her at the bay window, but find Cory and Topanga instead. They smile: We are so proud of you, Josh. I return their smile: Thanks..uh..have you see Riley? Topanga looks toward the back door, I think she went out back.
Expecting to find Riley on the porch swing, I am surprised to discover Mr. Feeny quietly sitting there instead. I have lived next door to you all for longer than you have been a surprise. When Cory was younger and life would teach him the tough lessons, some times he would retreat to the safety of higher ground. He glances at the tree house that still is in our yard. I think it always helped him gain a different perspective.
As he heads in the house to join the party, I scroll down to my contact for Shawn and hit call. Wow I'm honored, I am getting called during your party. How's your speech go? I don't think it's fair your cooler than me and smarter than me now. I chuckle. It went well. Listen I'm worried about Riley, she seems...off. ..how is Maya? Shawn sighs: She's quiet. I'm keeping an I on it. You take care of Riley, and I'll take care of your girl. I start shaking my head. She's not my girl. She's three years younger than...Shawn's returning chuckle stops my rambling. Josh I know you care about her. It's ok. Don't you think she needs all the people she can to care about her. I shake my head even though he can't see it. Yeah, call me later.
After I disconnect the call, I climb the wood steps to the tree house. Auggie is next to Riley. As Riley ponders out loud, He is messing with my head. Do you think you can love two people at once? Auggie shrugs his shoulders, how would I know I've been married to Ava for 72 years. Riley giggles, and realize it's the first laugh I've heard from her all day. Can I crash this party, or is it siblings only? Auggie smiles: Of course. I glance to Riley and she nods.
I sit on the opposite side of Riley from Auggie, and nudge her shoulder. Where are your smiles, Riles? Why is Maya really not with you? I watch a lone tear escape, I think I just needed some space to think, and maybe she did too.
I can tell she's thinking so I don't say anything. Riley: We all went to Texas, because we signed Lucas up to ride Tombstone the bull. Maya couldn't watch him, and that's when I realized she likes him; so, I stepped back. I lied and said I liked him as a brother.
I put my arm around her. I don't say anything because I don't trust my voice. How can't she like Howdy now? Has she moved on? Riley continues, Farkle figured out I was lying and outed my feelings on new years, and now we are in this triangle. I don't see how it ends with out someone getting hurt. I don't want anyone to get hurt Josh.
Josh: When do you think she started liking him? Riley ponders this: Maybe when the yearbook came out, and she had to be me to save Farkle and I, because that's what I do and I wasn't me. That's when she started getting all googly around him and being like hi hey...you know like Lucas and me. I think I'm starting to see what this is.
Riley people can go through changes as they go to high school. Sometimes we figure out who we are, and sometimes we lose our way a little. Don't pay attention to what everybody says, because words and feelings can get confused. Watch what they do. How about we rejoin the party? Andrew arrived. She hugs me briefly: Ok Josh! Riley heads down. Still no word from Shawn; so, I follow Auggie down.

Shawn POV

I knock on Maya's bedroom window. She is still staying in the room with bay window that she shared with Riley. There is no response and I can hear Breathe from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon filter through the door. 🎼Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave but don't leave me
Look around and choose your own ground
For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be🎼
I look at Katy and she nods, I knock harder as she exclaims Maya, baby girl, you open this door Right Now!
Maya comes to the door. Sorry I guess I didn't hear you knock. She sits back at the window seat and picks hers sketch pad back up and continues tinkering with her sketch. I sit on the bay window opposite her and Katy sits on the bed. Katy's voice gets soft as she looks at Maya, What's going on baby girl? Maya turns the music down. I'm just confused by all these feelings, and thought if I could draw it I could sort it out for myself.
I look at Maya, Can we see? Katy joins me on the window seat as Maya hands over the sketch pad. As I look at Maya's creation, I wonder if she knows the legend of the The Dark Side of the Moon as it relates to The wizard of Oz.
While she maybe confused by all these new feelings and emotions, I think she knows the way in her heart. The left side looks like a tornado that has the a triangle with a rainbow coming out of it. On the other side of the rainbow is Maya~half of her is the good witch Glenda, and half of her the wicked witch. Cory is the wizard; which cracks me up. Glenda's wand is pointed at the Tin Man, who looks like Josh. The heart he is wearing is labeled HART. The wicked witch is looking toward the cowardly lion,who looks like Lucas. He is dressed in a cowboy hat and boots and seems torn between Dorothy (Riley) and Maya. Dorothy, is in yellow gingham instead of the typical blue and orange slippers, has a bucket of water that she is tossing toward Maya and the scarecrow (Farkle) is at Dorothy's side protectively. He holds a purple cat instead of toto. That has glasses. Who's that? Maya studies the picture. It's Smakle she seemed more cat like to me. Though he holds Smakle/toto, he looks toward Dorothy. There is a flying monkey in he trees watching everyone else eating pancakes; which makes me chuckle. His caption says; Yeah,no ones getting hurt here. Shawn: Maya if you feel this lost odds are your friends do too. Don't shut them out. Katy stands and hugs Maya. You and Riley and your friends need to talk baby girl. These feelings don't just go away, if you ignore them. I snap a quick shot of the sketch as they hug. We'll make dinner. Call Riley. I am sure she feels lost too.

Josh POV

My phone vibrates in my pocket. It's an image based on the wizard of oz drawn by Maya. I can see she is unsure of who she is right now. Confused by her feelings. I text Shawn: So it's true she likes Howdy now? Shawn's response is immediate: Look closer at the tin man. I enlarge the picture so I can look closer; looks like Glenda gave the tin man (me) his heart and its label HART. I think that means she gave me her heart already, so I won't give up. After all, I'm in it for the long game. The words from America's Tin Man float in my head.
🎼Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have🎼I slide the phone back into my pocket and go back to my party. I know in the long game life presents you with multiple twists and turns, this will not be the end of our story.