Boy meets the long game

It's about a month since we all went to upstate New York.  I  took a campus tour of NYU today, and then came up to hang out with Auggie.  We've always had a special connection, since we are the two youngest Mathew's men.  We have to stick together. I promised him when he was a baby I'd always be there for him.
I wanted to take Auggie to see the Statue of Liberty, but he didn't want to leave the city. Tonight is family game night at the Mathew's house. Once a month they have family game night, and it's Auggie's favorite night of the month.
     You can come, Uncle Josh, you'll be extra family.  Maya will be there too.  He wiggled his eyebrows.  I smiled because I couldn't help but remember Maya's beautiful sketch and singing with her around the fire pit, but I played it cool.   Auggie, Maya's too young for me.   She's three years younger than me. Auggie looked at me thoughtfully, So? She's eight years older than me. Well when he puts it that way three years doesn't seem that long, but it feels like a life time to me right now.
Auggie: Anyway, my woman is older. I kind of choke on the soda I was taking a drink of and sputter, YOUR WOMAN? Auggie gets this dreamy look on his face, Yeah, her name is Ava Morgenstern. She lives in our apartment building, and she is this many. He holds up five fingers on 1 hand and 1 finger on the other. Sometimes she is kind of bossy because this many (holds up 6 fingers) tells this many (holds up 5 fingers) what to do. I don't mind though, I mean we've been married for like 20 years. I ruffled his curly brown hair, You are fathers son, lil man. Auggie: Thanks Joshie, I want be just like him when I grow up. Josh: You know what Auggie so do I, just like him and my dad. In the mean time, I just want them to be proud of me. I hug Auggie, and put him on my shoulders because I know he loves it up there. Game night starts in half an hour, we need to head back so your not late.
After I park the car, Auggie and I head up to Cory and Topanga's second floor New York apartment.  Maya is already here at her spot at the kitchen table  next to Riley.  Riley's making her way through a tub of popcorn that's almost bigger than her.  Maya spots me, twirls her hair and bats her eyes, Well, hello.    Um...well..that's kind of adorable but how do I respond to that?  Luckily Auggie beats me to the punch.  He twirls his hair, bats his eyes right back at Maya: Well, hello.  The look of surprise on her face is kind priceless; so,  I softly chuckle before heading over to greet Cory. 
     Cory:  My Brother.   Josh:  My Brotha.  Cory:   It's family game nigh your extra family your in.  As Cory is says this, the intercom buzzes.  It's a Farkle~whatever that is~ and a boy named Lucas.  Looks like daddy's little girl invited boys to family game night.  Which basically means Cory's freak out is going to be a 7 on a 0-10 scale.  It will make the one about nature last month look tame.  Good thing there's popcorn. 
     Cory is not so quietly having his meltdown, Dr. Turtleneck and Mr.  Howdy have crashed family game night.  For the most part Topanga is facing it with grace.  Then again sometimes Mathew's men have a hard time letting go of their daughters.  Morgan has told me stories of how our dad was when she started dating boys.  Wow if Cory's getting this worked up over family game night, Cory is never going to let poor Riley date.  I glance ar at Maya and wonder who will be there to see Maya off on her first date?  Cory and Topanga? Maybe Shawn?
     I notice the two boys are starting to look pretty uncomfortable, especially the bigger one.  I decide to step away from Cory and Topanga to introduce myself.  The smaller one stands as I approach.  He is wearing a yellow shirt over a bright orange turtleneck, You must be Dr.  Turtleneck, I presume?  Farkle:  Why, yes.  How'd you know?  Is this guy for real? Uh..I guess you just look like a doctor.  I look to the other one, And that must mean your? Lucas: Howdy.  We shake hands. 
     I take the opportunity to set up the game.  I know we will play eventually.  Cory is still arguing with Topanga about Riley growing up.  Did they change her diapers and burp her Topanga?? Dr. Turtleneck:  Not yet but we will when she's older.  Wow apparently he plans to be in Riley's life for a while. 
      Topanga tries to be the voice of reason:  Cory flipping out is only going to make things worse.  Do you really want to drive her away?  Riley:  Yeah dad it's like what you were teaching today in school.  I am dying to see how Riley is going to tie friends at family game night into what they learned in history class.
     My brother became a middle school history teacher because he was inspired by some of the greats.  Mr.  Feeny our neighbor taught Shawn, Topanga and Cory every year and was even their principle in high school.  Mr.  Turner was basically Shawn's adopted father, he taught literature.  I've heard the first book he assigned was a comic book.  In fact Mr.  Turner, hired Cory.  I am still trying to figure out my major, teaching is one of the things I am considering. 
Not all my lessons apply to your guys life, I was teaching about the American Revolution.  How could that possibly relate to now? Farkle:  All your lessons do, sir.  Lucas:  Every Time, sir.  Riley:  You said to imagine King George as the father and America as the child who knew it was time to breakaway.  Cory:  You are mine until you are 18, it's the law.  Oh boy...Riley:  Whatever you say, King George.  Maya speaks up:  What's the matter? Pop doesn't like pop's lesson? 
     Auggie bounds up to me, Would you be on my team Uncle Josh?  Josh:  Just try and stop me.  Maya comes up and grabs my hand, Ok I will.  He's on my team, Auggie.  Auggie grabs my other arm.  He's my uncle, Maya.  Maya, Yeah, well he's my husband.  Auggie drops my hand, Congratulations! I guess since Auggie's been married to Ava for 2o years he's not going to argue with Maya about us be married.  I know I should, but she's holding my hand.   She just called me her husband, and all I can do is look at her. 
     Apparently, if even one person goes in the center you have to play the long game: which they have never done.  Farkle:  Intriguing, should we see what happens.  As he says this he looks at only Riley.  He looks at her like she is his sun and he is Earth merely circling her orbit.  Riley replies: No!
     Doorbell rings.  Hi, Auggie.  Your playing a game?  Can I be on your team?  There's a blond spunky girl about Auggie's age.  They come in arm in arm.  This must be his woman.  Your on your own, Pal, my women's here..This finally pushes Cory the rest of the way over the edge he's been teetering on.  Maya:  There's the freak out I've been waiting for, best show in town.  Feel better buddy? Cory, I do thank you. 
     Everyone is partnered up but Cory, Maya, and myself.  While I wouldn't mind being partnered up with Maya, I wouldn't want her to get the wrong idea.  Besides Cory is having a rough enough night because both of his kids are growing up before his eyes, his world will come to an end if he doesn't get to play his own family game night.  Maya looks at Cory, I could pick you.  Then me and batts her eyes flirtatiously, Or I could pick you.  She looks back at Cory tone change, I could pick you.  Then she's leans back into me, and her hair smells like honey suckle and rosemary.  Suddenly I am very nervous and I know I need to move, but then she backs away. She looks back at Cory, and I can breath again.  You see Mr.  Mathew's you represent homework and no fun.  All sudden Maya is leaning in to me again, While your so handsome, it kind of makes my eyes hurt.  Wow, ok.  Josh:  Ok here's what I'm gonna do.  I'm gonna be the game show host because they stand (I stand and so does Maya) and they move.  Maya tries to follow me but Cory grabs her and pulls her back down to couch.  Cory: Hi, partner.  Maya: Oh, boy.
As the game show host, I will make sure everyone follows the rules; especially this one. I spy Ava pocketing some of the play money, and quickly take it away from her. I chuckle though Auggie's going to have his hands full with this one. She's a fire cracker. Auggie: Ava? Ava: I'm doing it for us baby. Josh: Ok, so the object of the game is to create a family and protect it through a myriad of obstacles. The winner is whoever lands in the success square with a car and a house. Ava: Get me a car and a house. Auggie: I'm trying. Hm..they do bicker like an old married couple.
Cory: Maya and I will go 1st. Says the king of the castle. Riley: Just cause your the king doesn't mean you get to make all the rules. Cory: That's the first rule in the Kings handbook. Riley grabs the dice from Cory and asserts her independence by going 1st. Howdy is really getting nervous now, and is trying to make a run for it. He's kind of a chicken for a western hero.
Cory goes next and lands on the fatherhood square. No surprise there. Pink square means I get a daughter. Lucas: Actually sir we already own that square, so your daughters ours. I am waiting for steam to come out of Cory's ears. Cory: Excuse me? Riley who obviously has a crush on Lucas, Let him talk. Riley tries to go to Howdy and Dr. Turtleneck but Topanga stops her. At this point, I am waiting for Cory's head to implode. The game is imitating what is happening in his life right now. Riley doesn't seem to realize how much Cory and Topanga are freaking, but I notice Maya is watching the both closely. Cory: Josh? Josh: She is not Riley Mathew's anymore..she's now Mrs. Dr. Howdy Turtleneck.
This game just got real. Cory reluctantly goes to hand over the daughter square, but can't let go. Lucas: Your holding on a little tight, Sir. Farkle: You need to let go, sir. The card tears because Cory can't let go; You killed my daughter!
Ava: My turn, I pick 6. Topanga: You need to roll the dice. Ava ignores her and counts out 6 spaces. Topanga: Josh? Josh: I'm going to allow it because she cracks me up. Looks like Topanga gonna have a challenge today cuz Ava's in it to win it. She uses her turn to send Topanga back to start..
Riley's up next and she get a go to Europe with a friend card, and Topanga is dismayed she is going to leave her behind to go with Maya. She didn't feel what Cory was till now. Their kids are growing before their eyes. I am your mother; I have your absolute love and devotion. What do you think your talking to him? She points to Cory. Josh: This game just got real..will the daughter go off on her own, or will the mother hold on to her forever? Riley looks at Topanga: Sorry Mommy. She scoots over to Maya: Partners? Maya: Always.
I call a 5 minute break so they can all regroup with there new partners. I watch Cory and Topanga as they sit at the bay window in the living room. I hope Maya has been as observant as I think she has, and can help Riley see what this is doing to her parents. Cory was the first to freak out, but when Topanga becomes upset he finds his inner strength. They make eachother stronger, I hope I have a love like that someday. Riley and Maya come back to the living rooms, and I declare it time to resume the game. I can tell Maya's talked to Riley, because she approaches the game differently after they come back.
Riley rolls a 12 and has a chance to win the game, instead she decides to go into the center and play the long game. We're going to play the long game, because tonight it's not about winning. She looks to Topanga, Mom I was only trying to win so you'd be proud of me. Topanga: You were? Riley: Yeah, I want to be just like you a killer shark who always wins. Mother and daughter hug and all is right in their world again.
I check the box rules for the long game, In the long game you all work together to conquer the game itself.  Cory:  So we'd all be on one big team?  Riley:  If you'll let us be dad, and I promise  no ones leaving.  As much as Cory wants that to be true, even he knows his little girl will leave someday.  If these are the people, you have chosen to leave us for someday, you have made some wonderful choices.  Riley:  So you'll buy the friends game?  Topanga:  Can we play that one with you?   Maya:  Anytime.  Riley looks at Cory and smiles, Your a good King.  Cory:  Your a good John Quincy Adams.  Riley beams:  Ah the kid who brought them all together.  Told ya. 
      As the birds tweet in the morning sky, we are still playing the long game.  If Auggie can roll a 2, we will finally see what happens when you win the long game.  Topanga:  Nobody can roll a 2.  Ava:  We pick 2.  The game spins and  colored lights emit from the center  ring before resetting.  And as everyone has joined together, we see in the long game friends become family.  Riley:  Its not a game at all.  Auggie:  What is it?  Topanga:  It's life..
     I know I need to let Maya down gently, three years is just too long.  She needs to find someone her own age.  So while everyone is distracted, I slowly walk over to her.  Maya, you do understand I'm too old for you?  Maya:  I do, Josh.  I know.  I should be relieved, but somehow instead it feels more like disappointment.  I nod and say, Good, and look down trying to understand the heart break I feel over this 13 year old girl.  Then Maya looks at me sideways, But I'm in it for the long game.  I can't help the smile that breaks out on my face.  My heart that was breaking a second ago speeds up now, and my breath rushes out of me.  I don't respond because all I can think is she's in it for the long game..where friends become family.