Boy Meets Nothing Else Matters

I don't own the characters to BMW/GMW that goes to Disney channel.  I don't own the rights to Metallica or there lyrics for nothing else matters or to Van Gogh starry night. 
This story is based on girl meets Mr. Squirrels.  It is told through Josh and at times Eric's POV.  Maya is not directly in it.

      It's April in Philly and the spring flowers are blooming, not that I've had much time to notice. Life's been pretty hectic lately; with applications and essays for college, and projects, tests, and papers for school.  I applied for early admission to NYU.  Acceptance letters are supposed to be mailed out this week.  I check the mail everyday when I get home from school, but so far nothing has come. 
     I am up in my room working on my Art History AP paper that is due Friday.  I have my Spotify ™ playlist on in the background.  I always study with music; somehow it helps to ground or focus me.  Currently, Metallica Nothing Else Matters is playing.  I am only peripherally aware of it. 
     Our assignment is to discuss our interpretation of one of an artists more famous or well known works.  I chose Starry Night by Van Gogh.  Starry Night played a role in the history of Cory and Topanga.  When they almost broke up over Lauren, Topanga almost gave up on them til she met a boy at an art museum and bonded over this painting.  Then she drug Cory to the art museum the next day to see if he saw the same thing in the painting she did.  While she saw hope, protection, and love; Cory was in so much pain over Topanga his view of the painting was darker than hers.  He saw only anger and destruction.  This gave me the idea for my paper, a male vs female interpretation of the masterpiece.  My teacher was excited when I presented the idea, and gave me the green light to write it. 
     I am surprised to find that I hear Maya's voice clearly in my head as the female perspective.  I think it's because I associate her with art, since her own is so amazing.  Part of me wonders what she would actually think of this painting,  or if she spends any time studying the great artists of the world.  I know there are a lot of art museums in New York, if I get into NYU maybe I can take Riley, Auggie, and Maya.  It would be interesting to hear her thoughts on the masterpieces.  Mom:  Joshua Gabriel time for dinner.  Get washed up and come down. 
     I save my draft, and turn off my playlist to head down to dinner when Cory's face flashes on my screen.  Josh:  My brother.  Cory:  My brother, how's life you haven't been to New York in a while?  Josh:  Alls good, just busy with school and stuff.  I don't tell him about NYU.  I know he'd understand, but I'm not ready to admit how nervous I am.  Somehow saying that out loud will make it too real.  So I change the subject, How are Riley and Auggie?  I really want to know about Maya too but figure this is safer territory.  Cory: Auggie's good.
     It's not lost on me that that he doesn't include Riley when he responded.  I sit up a little straighter in my seat, Cor?  Cory:  Yeah?  Josh:  What's wrong with Riles?  Cory sounds strained when he replies, Who's says there.. I interrupt: Cory why are you avoiding talking about my Niece?!
     Cory sighs like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.  She and Maya are fighting.  I'm honestly relieved at first.  Their teenage girls there's always some kind of drama.  The girls in my class are always fighting about something.  I tap a pencil nervously on my notebook.  Well I'm sure they've fought before?  Cory:  Not like this, the fight is having them not the other way around.  Something little is turning into something bigger, Topanga and I have tried and we can't get through to them.
      Josh:  Well then they'll just sit on the bay window until they fix it, right?  Cory sighs again:  Riley says the bay window is broken, and she refuses to sit at the bay window with Maya and stink up the integrity of it.  I don't realize how tense I have become till the pencil snaps in my hand.  In all the time I've known Riley and Maya, they've always been able to talk through anything.
      Cory:  Nothing Topanga or I have said or done has been able to make this better.  It reminds me of when Topanga and I were college, and our whole group of friends got into a war over what started out as harmless pranks.  Before we knew it, we had gone too far.  Only one of us saw the danger zone we were heading to, and was able to save the friendships.  So I'm bringing him in now, we need him and his 5th sense.
     Josh:  Wait 5th sense, that's hearing, unless your talking about Eric?!  Your bringing in Eric?  Isn't he in St. Upid Town?  I could practically here Cory's smile through the phone, I called him.  He's coming to New York.  He's my big brother, and he can fix anything!  I understand that feeling because that's how I feel about Cory, but my oldest brother is..unique.
    Cory, Maya and Riley need each other.  They are the best friends I have ever seen.  Are you sure Eric's got this?  Cory sounds confident: He's got this.  He will figure out what's going on and fix it.  Josh:  Ok, I better go, Mom called me to dinner before you called.  Take care, Cor. Cory: You too, Josh.  I wish I felt as assured as Cory. 
      I head downstairs to dinner with my parents, I apologize for taking so long and explain Cory called.  My mom made my favorite:  pot roast, potatoes and carrots, but somehow I barely touch it.  My mom and dad notice.  Dad:  Something on your mind, Josh?  Heard anything from NYU, yet?  Josh: Not yet.   Mom:  That why you aren't eating the meal I cooked for you?  Josh:  Yeah, I guess. 
     I know my parents aren't buying it, when they exchange one of those looks Cory and Topanga always share.  The one where you know there is a silent conversation the rest of the world can't hear.  My dad turns his attention back to me:  So what did Cory call about?  Everything ok in New York?
     I let out the breath, I didn't know I'd been holding.  And try to explain where my head is at to my dad.  Maya and Riley are fighting.  I don't realize I mentioned Maya before Riley.  My dad raises his eyebrows slightly and rests his hands under his chin.  I guess it's a pretty big fight, and Cory called Eric to come see if he can help.  Dad smiles at my mom much like Cory often does at Topanga.  Dad:  Your worried about Riley and ..Maya..Josh:  Their friendship is important dad.  They have always been there for each other.  I think without Maya, Riley would never leave the safety and security of the bay window.  Without Riley, Cory and Topanga; I don't think Maya would understand unconditional love..she deserves that kind of love..They need each other dad.
     My mom grabs the hand that I have clenched on the table, and I try to relax it.  You care a lot about Maya, don't you?  Josh:  Of course she's my friend.  My dad kind of chuckles at my response, shakes his head.  I know you are closer with Cory because he was around more while you were growing up.  But if you are worried about Riley and your friend, you should call him.  He will probably surprise you.
      I excuse myself from the table and head back up to my room.  I scroll to Eric's number on my phone, and press dial as I plop on my bed.  Eric:  My Brotha!  Josh:  My Brother.  Eric: What's up baby Joshie?  I got some time to kill before my flight leaves.  I refrain from telling him I am not a baby anymore as I normally would, because what I'm calling about is more important.  That's what I'm calling about, I talked to Cory.  I know he's worried about Maya and Riley.  Again I don't notice that I mentioned Maya before my niece, and I don't admit to Eric that I'm worried too.  The worlds of Metallica come back to me:  Nothing else matters more than their friendship. 
     Even though I didn't say it, Eric seems to know I'm worried.  Don't worry, I will figure out what's going on with Riley and Machiko.  I clench my jaw and pinch the bridge of my nose.  How can he fix this if he doesn't doesn't even know her name?  Eric, I am serious.  Eric:  Most likely what happening on the the surface, is not what is really happening underneath.  I will get to the bottom of the rift between my Niche and Maeko.  I bite the inside of my cheeks; so, I don't snap that he again calls Maya the wrong name.  Eric:  Josh, I got this.  I helped our friends find peace in college when their friendships could have ended.  This is why I'm the Mayor of St. Upid  Town; people trust me with there issues.  Josh:  How are political issues going...Eric interrupts:  Oh no, I don't know anything about those.  What I know is people:  lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself.  I won't let that happen to my Niche or Madiera.
      I finally lose it.  How can he help Maya, if he doesn't even know her name?!  Her name is MAYA!  Eric chuckles:  Your kind of worked up over a fight between, our Niche and Ms. Maya Penelope Hart, aren't you?  I am floored that he knows her name.  You know her name, then why?  Eric:  Of course I do, I like her very much.  Probably   the same reason I call Pangers different names, cuz I know she's special.  Do you know she's special Josh?  Josh:  Yeah I care about her a lot, she's a good friend.  Eric chuckles again, I can see that Josh.  Have you let Ms.  Hart know you care?  What is he crazy?  Not in so many words?  She has this crush on me, and she's 3 years younger.  I don't want to lead her on.  Eric:  Josh people always need to know that we care.  Someone can never have too much that in their life; especially someone like Maya whose dad left so long ago.  You know?  Josh:  Yeah, maybe..Eric:  Josh I got to go my planes getting ready to board.  I'll text you later.  Josh:  Ok, Thanks Eric.

Eric's POV
     I scroll down to my contact for Cory and call him before boarding the plane.  Cory:  My brother.  Eric:  My brother. I just got off the phone with young Josh, I think our baby brothers growing up.  How long as he loved Meridau?  Cory laughed, For as long as I can remember: could've been when he was 7 and he first met her, or 10 and we all went ice skating, or when he was 13 and they sung Van Halen on the window seat or upstate New York when he saved her and Riles, or saw her art and sang guns and roses with her around the campfire.  I know they have had countless moments; but right now all he can see is the age difference.  Eric:  But he's protective of her, she's his Topanga? Cory:  hmph..I think so.  Eric:  Good, he's even more like you than I realized, brother.  Cory:  He's like you too, Eric.  He sees more in the world than most kids his age.  I smile at that.  I'll see you soon, Cor, their calling final boarding for my flight.  I've got even more reason to save this friendship now.

Josh POV
     I came home from school today, and the envelope arrived from NYU.  I'm dying to open it, but I want to open it with Cory so he'll be proud of me.  Since it's Friday night, my parents say I can head to New York in the morning.  I texted my friend Andrew, a freshman at NYU, that I'm coming to town; he invited me to a party Saturday night so I can get to know some people on campus.  I don't text Cory, because I want my trip to be a surprise.
     As I head to my room to pack, Eric texts me.  Niche and Mahala are right as rain again.  The thunder and lightening are safely in the security of their world and the bay window once again.  I smile brightly and my chest lightens.  Thanks for letting me know!  I love you.  I'm heading to New York in the morning.  Will you still be there?  It would be great to see him.  Eric:  Nope.  Sorry.  Emergency flight to St. Upid Town.  There is a conflict with our neighbors from France.  I laugh, same old Eric.  I don't know how he fixed Maya and Riley, but I know I'm grateful that my oldest brother was born with the 5th sense.  The world, my world, needs Maya and Riley in it.