I Don't Know When, I Don't Know How...

A/N: Hi loves! I'm back! If you're curious about where I"ve been , I wrote a nice little personal blog post about it on Wrecking Ball - at the beginning of Chapter 55 "Unhinged". Love you guys!

***

Demo was busy running circles around us, his long legs practically eating up the distance. It was magnificent, the way the large animal moved. It always fascinated me - bodies, and the way they worked.

Xander cleared his throat next to me, bringing my attention back to him.

I sent a small smile over as I pulled my coat tighter around me. Normally, I would be running with Demo, but today, I was too exhausted for exercise. In fact, if I listened closely, I would have heard my bed calling for me from the distance.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked, handing me another croissant. After going back to my apartment to gather Demo, Xander insisted on stopping at a bakery to get some breakfast for us, which we proceeded to take to the park.

I bit my lip, unable to hide my smile. "I would tell you, but you would think me strange." I admitted.

He chuckled. "I know a thing or two about strange, sweetheart..."

"Pff." I huffed. "Says the person who's basically the walking definition of it..." I murmured to myself as I turned away from him.

The sound of laughter hit my ear, and I snapped my head around to look at him, scared that somehow Xander might have heard me. Thankfully, his eyes were fixed ahead, following Demo as he bounced around a small poodle. "You may have competition." He grinned, looking over at me.

I waved my hand in front of me. "Passing faze. I'm the only woman in his life."

"Lucky dog." Xander nodded, taking a giant bite of his sandwich - which was loaded with every kind of deli meat known to man.

"He's also fixed." I added, silently giggling at Xander's expression, as all the color slowly drained from his face.

"Come here, my man." He whistled, and Demo came running back to us. "You need this more than I do..." Demo was all smirk as he took the sandwich from Xander's outstretched hand.

My eyes zeroed in on his hand, his wrist momentarily exposed by the sleeve of his coat. Xander's veins were bulging from under his skin - the perfect model to practice inserting an IV on.

I shook my head. I was going completely insane... But I could have sworn I spotted his veins pulsing rather quickly - a condition quite strange in a comfortable sitting position.

Not the first unusual thing about the man, but he has been nothing but a gentleman toward me - well, except for a few sly comments earlier made.

Xander turned his head, catching me staring at him. His full lips pulled into a wide grin. "See something you like?" He teased.

"Your veins." I nodded, pointing to his wrist.

His brows furrowed. "What about them?" As if subconsciously, he pulled on the sleeve of his jacket, covering the exposed skin.

"They're basically a medical person's wet dream." I informed him. That wasn't a lie. In fact, if I only had a needle on me...

Xander chuckled. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"It was." I nodded.

Demo bounced up to me, after chasing a few birds off the ground. His large head rested on my lap, signaling that he was done for the morning. "I think it's best if we go home now." I told Xander, my hand stroking my dog's fluffy ears.

He nodded, getting up from the bench and extending a hand to help me up as well. "Well, it was a lovely breakfast." Xander remarked, as an air of unease settled over us. For the first time since I've been in his company, I felt this tension in the air.

"Sure was." I added, quite lamely.

We fell into step next to each other, Xander on my left, and Demo - now back in his leash - hanging off of my right arm.

"So..." I started. "What is it that you see Dr. Belkin for?" I blurted, having been previously chewing on this question all morning.

Xander's face split into a wide grin. "Ever heard of doctor-client privilege?"

"May have came across that term somewhere in school..." I nodded, chewing on my bottom lip. Still, the question remained.

Xander, as if reading my mind, continued. "I already told you, sweetheart. He's a-"

"-an old family friend." I finished the sentence for him. "Yes, you've said that already. But that doesn't explain what business you have with him - excuse my French - in the absolute ass-crack of dawn."

He let out a low chuckle, that almost sounded like a growl. My God, I was really due in for some sleep...

"We're just running some basic tests on me."

Ah, so he wasn't just paying the good doctor a friendly visit, after all. "Anything to do with your crazy heartbeat?" I continued digging, only half joking with my question. I was hoping if my threading came across as friendly concern, he would share more with me.

He wasn't laughing now.

In fact, Xander's whole profile was turned towards me as he took me in, observing my every reaction. Did I have something on my face? I bloody hoped not...

"You don't miss a lot, do you?"

I shook my head. It was my nature to be curious. It was also the reason why becoming a doctor would be a fitting career for me - this need for answers, and my unwavering tenacity.

I was also good at observing, and it didn't escape me that once again he dodged my question with one of his own. Xander was hiding something... And if he wasn't going to tell me, I was going to have to find out on my own.

It's only fair. After all, he was the one who insisted on popping up in my life. Sometimes, even though people don't tell you their secrets, they want you to know the truth.

But that was going to take some time. "Well, I've had a lovely morning. Thank you for breakfast, Mr. Romanov." I turned to face him, having arrived at the stairs right outside my building. "I think I can handle it from here."

His full lips were in their never-wavering amused smile. "I'm sure you can, sweetheart."

Before I could stop him, or even react, he leaned down, placing those said full lips on my cheek, brushing them gently against my skin. It may have been freezing outside, but his body was warm, radiating its heat through my clothes - even from our proximity.

"Get some rest, Sophia." A playful glint returned in his eyes as he pronounced my name in his faint accent. "I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of each other."

And with that, he turned on his heels, and he was gone.

Minutes later, even after climbing all the stairs to my apartment, my skin was still tingling from that kiss.

***

A/N: I know it's a shortie, but I wanted to up and post on this story. New chapter coming soon!