24 || Partly Sunny

➟ly
┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

The weird thing about an elemental coma is that it can't really be detected. People don't deal with that sort of thing on a daily basis. I mean, it's odd to think a doctor would look at someone in that condition-- essentially dead in every meaning of the word, with only one part of their brain left functioning. Ah, the medial temporal lobe and its ability to comprehend things without the elemental cortex. The fact that it happened to be the part of the brain that constructed memories could lead to some strange fever dreams, ones unique to every person that effect them in different ways...

Strange fever dreams that happened to always be true.

start.

I pulled open the front door to our apartment, heart in my throat for the third time that day. I hated leaving them alone together. I hated it more than anything.

A brown bag of groceries was propped against my left hip, and the screen door fell shut behind me. The house was a mess, but nothing more than usual. Dirty laundry hung from every available surface, probably to be worn twice again before seeing soap. Plates and cups were littered everywhere, strange stains and apple cores surrounding them. "Dad? I'm home," I called, not wanting to disturb him if he was asleep. It was only five-thirty, but time ran differently for him.

I pulled a box of ramen out of the grocery bag, grabbing a pot from out under the sink. I filled it up with water, simmering the heat and watching the bubbles rise. "Carly?" A voice called. My stomach sunk. So he was up after all.

"Dad, we've been over this. My name is Ly," I said quietly. I didn't want him mad again, but I couldn't have him thinking he cold just... walk all over me, call me the wrong name, and continue to bash my existence for a mistake my mother made five years ago. I wasn't her.

"Carly, she left me," he called out. I couldn't even see him and I already knew he'd been drinking. "She left me with a pile of debt on my hands and... and an elemental piece of shit eating my only income!" I looked down at the noodles I'd bought. If these were the best his income could cover, he might have bigger problems on his hands.

"Nice to see you, too," I muttered sarcastically. It was loud enough so he couldn't hear it. I stuffed the noodles into the pan with the water, watching as they slowly deformed. "Where's Cole?"

"Cole? Cole... That ungrateful little rat! Ruined my marriage, ruined my wife, and took everything from me!" He cried. I looked one more time at the noodles, tearing my eyes away from their act of slipping into the boiling water. I sometimes wished that life could only be that simple. I knew I should probably find him. Of course, he was most likely in his one safe haven left.

"Hey, Cole?" I tapped the door three times. "Cole?" I rapped on the door again, leaning in. "You can't hide in there forever." I was standing outside of my younger brother's bedroom. He must have been like, six at the time- I wasn't quite sure. Crayon drawings were plastered all over, green and blue sketches of mom, him, and me. Dad wasn't in a single one.

"Leave me alone!" His voice called through the painted wood. A sigh escaped my lips.

"Cole, you know how this works. There's no dinner until you apologize."

"I don't want your nasty noodles!" I could almost picture him all puffed up, his arms crossed and lip stuck out in an obnoxious pout. "They suck! I want mom's food!"

I bit my lip, leaning a little against the door. "Cole, you need to compromise."

"No! I want Mama!" My fists clenched by my sides. I wasn't rageful or anything- it was some combination of anger, sadness, and a tweak of fear.