Chapter 9: Potion

Evangeline

Evangeline woke up in a warm embrace. Her eyes fluttered open to find of one Kaden's arms wrapped around her and her head on his chest. She took a deep breath inhaling his scent. Pinewood and soap. The smell that she knew so well. She appreciated the warmth that Kaden's embrace was providing. This was something she had always dreamed of, waking up in the arms of someone she loved and someone who loved her. Did she love him? Maybe, she wasn't sure and she wasn't going to try and find out in fear of getting hurt. But for now, she was going to pretend it was so.

Kaden was now tracing a pattern on her arm leaving a trail of goosebumps along her skin. She shuddered against him liking the way it felt.

"I've found out two things this morning," Kaden said, his morning voice still raw stirring something inside her. "One, that yesterday was not a dream. And two, I really don't want this to end so soon."

Evangeline raised her head to find his face extremely close to hers. His eyes were bearing into hers, unsaid words being translated through them.

"Kaden, I don't--"

"Shh..." His free hand came to her lips, tracing them ever so lightly. "I know what you are going to say Eva, but please, you are my only hope right now, don't take that away from me."

Hope. It was such a fragile thing. Evangeline saw first hand how bad it could be when it was lost and what good it could do when obtained. In their situation, them two against a whole army, the faith of their kingdom in their hands, hope was what they needed. She was not going to take hope away from him.

"Okay."

Kaden kissed Evangeline's forehead making her cheeks burn crimson. There was a knocking sound coming from the door. They both reached for their weapons ready for what stood on the other end. The door slowly opened revealing the boy. His hands went up in surrender immediately upon seeing their weapons in hand.

"B-breakfast is ready," he stuttered.

They both relaxed putting their weapons away. Evangeline straightened out her dress and started to put her hair into a braid while Kaden put away the mattresses and blankets. They made their way to the kitchen where the woman had placed two small bowls of oatmeal. They ate their breakfast and went to the back of the house where the woman had a horse ready with a cloth filled with food to last them a day, a pouch of water, and two blankets for the night.

They thanked the woman and her son before carrying on their journey. Evangeline rode behind Kaden on the horse, not missing the innuendo when her hands wrapped around his waist so she wouldn't fall.

"As much as I like this arrangement. I have my horse hidden in an inn's stable. We will get there faster on two horses," said Kaden.

He was right. That would be much better.

"Kaden, I was thinking... maybe we shouldn't go back so soon," Evangeline expressed.

"Don't worry my sweet, we will face our parents together. They can not keep us apart," he said.

Evangeline's cheeks blushed. "That was not what I meant. I think we should find out how the King had obtained magic. We need to know how to stop it or at least equal out the battle field by obtaining it too. We need to learn how he wishes to use it."

"Oh..." Kaden said sounding defeated. "I don't know what is worse, you putting my notion of love down or that you are absolutely right and that we must stay in Gywith longer."

"Just until we come up with a proper plan, we can't go back to Adersa with the news of being doomed. We need to help them, give them an answer. We can have our men give their lives for no reason. We need to give them hope," she explained.