Chapter Eight (Part 2)-I'm a freak

Start from the beginning

I groaned and decided I better start at the beginning when Jaxon was pouring his heart out to me and saw Kellan's ring.

"Oh. My. God." Her mouth dropped open. "Jaxon knows? Geez—what did he say?"

"Let's just say he wasn't thrilled." I cringed and twisted the edge of the floral quilt with my fingers.

"I can imagine he wasn't happy. Wait—" She sat up. "Is he the one who cut you?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Jaxon? No, he didn't."

I told her about the first part of the dream where I showed Vega the stone Jaxon had given me and how the dream shifted leaving me facing Jaxon chained to a wall with two guys threatening to kill him.

"Are you crazy?" She grabbed the pillow off her bed and threw it at me. "After what he did to your ankle, you saved his miserable butt? You're way more forgiving than I am, or way more gullible."

"I never said I forgave him," I replied pulling the pillow into my lap. "Only that I didn't want to see him dead. There's a big difference."

"Apparently a big enough difference to risk your neck for him." She raised an eyebrow and held out her hand asking for the pillow. "I think I need that back, you know, to beat some sense into you with it."

"Ha-ha." I held it just out of her reach when she tried to snatch it from me. "It was a dream. I don't even know how I got there, or how I ended up standing in front that knife." I wrenched the pillow back and hit her with it.

She held her hands up in defense. "Hey, why am I the one getting a beating? I'm just a concerned friend."

I hit her one more time and collapsed onto my bed letting the pillow drop from my grasp. "What am I going to do? I can't even go to sleep without being pulled into some disaster."

The early morning light filtered in through the window behind her as she draped a blanket over her shoulders. Then she got up letting the covers pull from the bed and sat next to me. "I don't know. Did Jaxon really say he didn't care if you kept Kellan's marks on you?"

I nodded, listening to people chatter as they passed by our dorm door.

"Wow, he has it bad for you. His father will likely skin him alive if he takes you for his partner with Kellan's ring on you."

"Nah," I looked up from my hands. "Jaxon seem to think we were destined for the dungeon."

"See, there's some good news." She nudged me through the blankets.

"What? How do you figure?"

She grinned and put her arm around me. "At least you'll have company."

"That's not funny." I couldn't help think about Robin's sister and how the throne had treated her for her refusal to marry Jaxon's brother. The fire circle's first was more than willing to ensure he got wanted. A shiver ran down the back of my arms and made my hands tingle for a brief moment.

A knock a the door dragged me from my thoughts. "It's not locked, come on in," Sage hollered.

"What? Sage..." I whispered. "Who knows who that is—I'm still in my pajamas." I hugged the blankets around me and watched the knob turn until I heard a click. The door pushed open and halted when it met the wall.

Flying portal dude stood in his drab uniform at the threshold like he didn't dare cross over the imaginary line that marked where the room began. His blue-grey eyes went wide when he looked at me.

"What? Is something wrong?" I asked not having a clue why he was here or acting the way he was.

"Are you hurt?" he asked sounding concerned.