-Chapter 47- Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

  I look out into the dimly lit corridor, grateful that whoever just passed by is now gone, and I appear to be completely alone again.

  I pull the keycard out of my pocket, and rush to the end of the hallway where an old red EXIT sign hangs by a few mangled wires.

  The door slides open when I run the keycard in front of the sensor. I'm blinded by the sudden glare of the afternoon sun, coming from outside, and I hold my arm up, hoping to block the harsh rays from eyes as they adjust.

  I stagger outside, surprised by the chilly air that nips at my skin through my thin hospital gown. I look around, not sure where to look for Kane's truck. I head up the east wall, making sure to stay right up against the building. I notice an all black truck parked under a large group of trees, and begin to make my way over to it, hoping that it is the correct vehicle.

  When I see Kane's face in the mirror, my heart leaps into my throat, and I can't remember the last time I was this thankful to see him. His face quickly shifts back to his UCP form, and I run the last bit of the way to the truck, coming to the passenger side.

  Kane opens the door, and I slip inside, happy to finally get to sit down. Before I even get a chance to say anything, Kane's arms have wrapped around me, his head buried in my neck, his hands gripped tightly on my arms.

  "Thank goodness you're okay," He says. "I was worried... It has been a long two days."

  "You can say that again," I say taking a peak at who all is in the back of the truck. Charlie is sitting in the corner nearest the door, along with Andrea. Paul is poking around on his LR-9, and Jack is poking at his teeth with a toothpick. Tom and Bradley are both looking over the weapons stashed in the back of the truck, passing around smaller handguns to everyone. A few other men are huddled in the back, with black ski masks covering their faces.

  "Who's ready?" Kane asks, and everyone cheers, sending a thrill through my body. I think back to the first time I heard them all cheer Kane on, their willingness to do whatever he commanded, even if it meant their lives. I remember fearing Kane for what he was capable of, and here I am, proud of what he has accomplished, and filled with joy that I can be a part of it.

  Kane pulls onto the highway, and takes my hand in his. "You look worried, Fel," He says, bringing his hand up to turn off his UCP. I do the same, happy to get to be myself again.

  "I believe fully in you and the rest of the Year Movement, but the Government is unpredictable," I say, letting my worries off my chest. I don't doubt Kane and his plan, but I doubt that we can trust the Government to not have a curve ball hidden by their best player.

  "How far away are we?" Charlie asks, his excitement evident.

  "Not very far, actually," Kane admits, looking at his watch. We'll be there in about ten minutes if the traffic stays as clear as it has been.

  We all stay silent for the next three minutes, consumed in our thoughts. I'm sure we are all running through the plausible scenarios, unsure what waits for us once we get to the headquarters.

  Bang! Bang! My eyes sweep around to the back of the truck when I hear the gun go off. But nobody in the back of the truck has a gun in their hand, and none of them pulled a trigger.

  Suddenly, one of our tires gives, and another round of shots goes off. I duck, just as Kane instructs everyone else to do the same.

  "Feds!" He shouts, pushing his foot down even further on the accelerator. All of a sudden, a large gray truck pulls out into the street in front of us, and even though Kane slams on the breaks, we run into it full on. I fly forward, and my head smashes against the airbag as it goes on my face. I feel a trickle of blood run down my lips, but I ignore it, trying to get my bearings.