Chapter 3

I made it to fourth period lunch. I have no friends in any of my classes so far, except for this one stupid kid who used to be my friend and still thinks we are friends, except I hate him.

I walk into the vast cafeteria and see that once again, I have no friends in my lunch class. I spot an empty table by the window and quickly walk to it to claim it. I put my things down and sit in a chair. I get my book out and begin to read it.

Suddenly I see someone walking over to my table. It's Cameron.

"Hey Cassie," he says and smiles at me as I put my book down on the table.

"Oh, hey Cameron." I look down at the table. I am so embarrassed.

"Where are your friends?" He looks around the cafeteria searching for people I might be sitting with.

"Oh, they're um, all getting food from the French fry line. They'll be back soon." I lie and begin to pick my book back up to save myself from even more embarrassment.

"Look, Cassie..." He begins and tilts my chin up. "You don't need to lie to me." He stares directly in my eyes for a second. "I'm going to sit with you for the rest of the semester." He pauses and stands up from the table. "I'm going to get my stuff from my table. Don't worry- I'll be right back." He gives me a wink and I shyly smile back.

Fuck. Why did I have to lie to him? This is so beyond embarrassing. It's not a big deal to me to not have friends, I'm used to it after what happened in sophomore year. I've kind of just accepted the fact that I'm anti-social. But why is Cameron trying to become friends with me so much? It's not like I asked for this. It's not like I want this either. Sure, he's attractive and somewhat sweet, I just don't like anyone. In general.

"Sorry that took so long-" he puts his things down slowly. "My friends were giving me a hard time." He sits in the same seat he was sitting in before.

"About what?" I ask and put my book down again. I sit up and look at him.

"Nothing, they just all think you're out of my league." He nonchalantly responds and eats one of his fries. I lean over and take one too.

"Well that's so sweet of them, being so nice to you," I smirk sarcastically and run my hand through my hair.

Cameron's POV

God she's beautiful. I wish I could tell her. I've wanted to tell her for the past three years of my life- and now I've finally gotten the chance.

It's not like some stupid, cliche story about some guy liking some girl forever. I've just always thought that she is gorgeous but I've never been friends with her, and I can't say that since I'm some random stranger. I hope to change that really soon.

I've had classes with Cassie and she's always so quiet, and since it's senior year I decided to finally talk to her. I can't stand how beautiful she is, I've always wanted to be friends with her but I've never had the balls to do so.

It sounds so stupid when I really think through all of the things I've been feeling. I don't care- I just can't wait to become Cassie's best friend. I know I'm her only friend and I want to help her.

"Cameron," Cassie begins, "Let's get to know each other."

Wow. I'm surprised this quiet, shy girl is trying to get to know me.

She pops another one of my French fries in her mouth.

"Okay," I say, "What's your favorite color?"

"Blue. But only a calm, sea blue. That's the color my room is. It's gorgeous."

She's being so... open.

"Mine is green. Like Christmas tree green."

"Alright, do you have any-" She is about to finish her question as I'm interrupted by my friends.

"CAMERON! Hitting it off with my girl Cassie, huh?" Brad puts his arm around Cassie's shoulder.

"Shut up Brad, get your arm off her," I laugh and Cassie chuckles as well.

"You know I'm just playing," he laughs and my other friends surround us.

Cassie's POV

"Hi, I'm Brad. B-R-A-D. Pronounced like bad, but with an R in the middle." I laugh and he does too.

"Thanks, I think I got your name down," I laugh and he sticks his hand out, and I shake it.

His other friends whisper to Cameron and push him around, making him blush. I wonder what they said.

The one who pushed Cameron steps forward and introduces himself to me as Colton. Another who was staying somewhat quiet says his name is Sam, and one who has been standing in the back not talking much tells me his name is Philip.

They all talk amongst themselves and begin to include me in their conversation.

"So Cassie," Sam says, "What do you think of my boy?" He gestures to Cameron.

"He's sweet," I giggle and blush.

"Awwww so cutesy!" Brad says and laughs like a little girl, which makes me burst into laughter. Cameron does too.

"Can you guys leave me alone?" Cameron says, laughing and trying to push them all away.

"Aw, but don't you want us here to help you?" Sam asks.

"No just leave me alone," Cameron laughs a little but become more serious.

"Alright alright fine." Brad, Sam, Colton, and Philip leave to go back to their table.

"Sorry about that," Cameron blushes immensely.

"They're just a dandy group of guys, aren't they?" I ask and we both laugh.