Aliel

The council of Elyfes in Enyhedorei was the grandest in the world. It's high ceiling was constructed from the tree canopy above. The walls were the   inside of the biggest tree in Enyhedorei. The tree Itself was the main source of magic the legendary city.

"Eh hem" a raspy voice interrupted my thoughts. "You approached us about an intruder you caught one fortnight ago?"
"ah yes," I gathered my self before speaking again. "I believe he has entered our realm by accident. I have swept his mind and found no trace of foul magic. "
"What do you suggest we do with him?" Said the elder, the owner of the raspy voice.
"I suggest that we let him go." I say resolutely.
A laughter echoed across the council.
"After he found out where our city was, no way."
"Yeah, we should hang him! "
"Get rid of him"
Voices echoed around the hall,  suggesting foul things to do to the man before killing him. It seems pointless to argue... unless...
"What if we merge him?" I call out.
A hush fell over the crowd, and faces turned from angry to confusion to humor to sympathy.  A merging is when you link two souls together. If one of the two people merged dies, so does the other. They also share each  other's pain. Once merged, the Two are sent on a quest and the both must complete the quest and become completely loyal towards each other.
"Are you volunteering for this act. "
I tried to swallow but my mouth was too dry. Merging with someone is a huge risk especially if you don't know the person. I don't know why I did it, but something compelled me to say it.
"I almost didn't hear myself say yes, before I realized what I had said."