Mood swings

When people say mood swings, people often think it's just 'the time of the month' (awkward if  a boy is reading this). Anyway that is wrong, this is a common misconception. Sometimes people might have mood swings everyday, the audacity of these mood swings can vary.. a lot! By this I mean you may experience sudden outbursts like crying spontaneously, or feeling extremely aggravated, or your mood may change gradually.  When someone goes through a mood swing, they may not even realise. You may not realise. Yes that's right I'm talking to you now (that feels really weird, since I am reading every word in my head). I am secretly an elf dressed up as a hamster (you said it not me). 

Now we need to ask ourselves why? Why may you not know when you are going through a mood swing. The answer is simple. One word. Ironic when that is two words. The answer is one word though. Media. That's right the media insinuates that all teenagers go through his faze where their hormones are all over the place, and that is the reason for your mood changing. Sure, this may be correct, I bet there is some scientific study which backs this up. But by saying that all teenagers go through this, it's like you're not meant to stop having these mood swings. This is basically saying 'hey I'm a teenager I'm fine with being unhappy right now, because every teenager is like this'. No, don't be like that!

Next time you feel sad do not succumb to these emotions, prove the media wrong, prove your mind wrong. I am a hypocrite right now, I have mood swings, but I am going to the doctor about this. My mood swings were not noticed by any-one, I have always had a problem, I feel like I'm about to do sick sometimes, when I'm eating. But no-one noticed. Then I experienced the loss of losing a loved one, and now I am overcome with fatigue and I do not have the energy to do many things. Now you know what can happen if you assume that your mood swings are just 'mood swings'. Every-time I told one of my friends how I was feeling they said don't worry you'll get over it. I searched on Google and articles said that all teenagers feel like this, so I convinced myself it was normal. And now my health has been the consqeuence of this.

So, if you ever feel like your mood swings are taking over you should seek help, do not be afraid to go to the Doctor's. Anyway, there are other mood swings which can be dealt with. What I described above was the loss of appetite, but other effects of having a mood swing, can be feeling depressed and lazy.  These things can be fixed but the problem is that no-one thinks about the moment before they have the mood swing. Whilst you are feeling depressed it will be hard to get out of this. But you need to find the trigger that causes this change in mood to take place. For example, schoolwork can make my mood change, I know that sounds stupid but I get a lot at times with such short deadlines, and most of the time it involves teaching yourself a topic. I say to myself I'll do it tomorrow, no I'll do it the day after. This is wrong. Whenever you have enough free time to make you think I might as well check out some social-networking sites. Stop. Think to yourself maybe I can use a bit of that time researching my homework or even attempting it. Time can be used to your advantage.

Whenever you feel like you're going to cry, you should cry, because when you try not to cry it can seriously affect you. In Primary school I was bullied, people would run away from me, and they'd call me anorexic. When I think about some of these memories it really upsets me, writing this I have a few tears threatening to fall down. But now my tears have gone. Why? Why have I suddenly got over the urge to cry?

Well, I'll tell you why, I know that now one of the boys who used to say I spoke in slow-motion and the same boy who called me a robot. Well, he's stayed in the same position he was in primary school, he hangs around on street corners, where as I have grown to be confident and to ignore this behaviour. When someone has the nerve to bully you and to make you feel bad about yourself; you should be worried for them and not pity yourself.

You should be thinking in what way is this person 'normal'? You should be saying how can such horrible words leave your tongue without repercussions? You should be grateful to know that you have the ability to choose your words carefully, and you have that special ability to make someone's day and not break their day. So say goodbye to mood swings. And hello to focusing on the brighter times.

When you feel like you are about to go back to your old self, just imagine this. Imagine feeling negative and you're thinking I don't want to talk to my friends. Imagine feeling like just sleeping and not doing work. You're locking yourself up in your room, bottling up feelings, and getting angry when people try to talk to you.  

You're having sleepless nights from worrying, your friends are angry because you are distancing yourself, and your family is getting seriously worried. Back to reality, you are now happier, you will try to reply to more of your messages, and you are going to compliment one of your family members. Why? Why do you want to do this?

You want to do this because being positive has no consequences where as being negative effects your health, friends, family, school work, job, morale, sleep and need I go on? So smile. :-) 

Author's note: Thank-you to E for your lovely and positive attitude. :) If it wasn't for Elifleur I'd have delayed this book again, but talking to her, made me realise I should listen to my own advice. So part one of my journey, mood swings have been conquered.