Chapter 13: The Girl Who Helps

The teacher for the AYCA class was a small woman with intense arm muscles. She wore a leather strap with a shining axe like a shoulder bag, and had a belt with a smaller axe around her waist. She didn't smile as the group entered, and the second the last person had entered she spoke. "Everyone grab an axe, start swinging at the blocks. One person per block, and don't get distracted or we'll have another injury. I'd like all of you to keep all ten fingers this time. You there, Uphlet, this is your first time in this class, right?" Arthur nodded. "Try and lift some of the axes and then start throwing at the block at the far right, so you don't end up hitting people."

Arthur sighed and walked to the wall covered in axes. He picked a relatively small one, or so he thought, and picked it up. He sunk through his arm and heard some chuckles from behind him. Then a girl's voice pitched through.

"Grab a red one." It was Eylin. "The ones with a red tag aren't heavy. You should be able to lift those." Arthur looked up and saw one with a red tag, and tried to lift it. She'd been right, it wasn't as heavy as the other one. It was still very heavy, and Arthur knew he was going to end up with aches in his arms. He could hear some girls whisper to Eylin about why she'd helped him, but couldn't hear any answer from her.

Arthur was placed at a lane with a block that had a wall next to it, so if he threw the complete opposite way his axe wouldn't fly off entirely. The axe he had grabbed was still heavy, and he looked to his side where the rest of the class was standing. He saw that everyone had their own approach at throwing the axe, but most people just slung it like a gigantic dart, with a little more swing. Arthur tried to lift the axe up to his shoulder, but the moment it was there he lost his balance and dropped the axe. A tall guy stepped his way, carrying his own axe by resting it on his shoulder. Almost immediately Arthur saw he didn't have a scarf, Argentium, Badge or ring.

***

As Arthur left the classroom later he saw Finn walking down the branches. Finn looked over and greeted him. "How was your Axe class?" Arthur shrugged.

"My arms ache. Those axes are way too heavy." He said, making circles with his right shoulder to relax it a bit. Finn laughed at him.

"What class do you have now?" He asked, and Arthur took the crumpled paper from his pocket. Finn snatched it and nodded. "You've got another swimming class. Same room as last time, I think." Arthur's stomach turned at the idea of it. "Why is it you've got so many swimming classes? Did Mr Qillian think you have a knack for it or something?"

Arthur shook his head. "I can't swim. I-err, I have a fear of water." He mumbled. Finn raised a brow.

"Water? Are you also scared of rain? Can you drink it? How about when you shower? Can you take a bath?" He asked some more questions and Arthur shook his head.

"No, just swimming and boats and stuff. Rain isn't scary, storms are a bit, and of course I can drink water, I'm not inhuman." Arthur stated, and Finn held his hands up in defence.

"Oy, no offence, mate. Just never met anyone who's scared of water." He defended, and Arthur shrugged. "But you should probably get to that swimming class of yours. I know Kile doesn't like latecomers." Arthur nodded and walked over the branch towards his swimming class.

He opened the door of the cabin and as soon as he saw the water, he felt nauseous again. Kile stood casually against the wall on the other side, talking to a girl that seemed about Ella's age. He saw Arthur and gave the girl a kiss, and she walked towards Arthur, greeted him with a small smile, and passed him to leave the classroom. As soon as she'd left Arthur turned to Kile. "Is she your girlfriend?" He asked, and Kile nodded. "She's very pretty." Kile laughed and walked towards Arthur and ruffled his hair.

He let out a sigh. "She sure is." He paused for a second. "Put on your swimming trunks and get back here."

Arthur sighed, but obliged. He fiddled with his fingers as he passed the pool, stepped into the small changing cubicle where his trunks were placed on a stool, folded neatly. Arthur put it on and stepped back into the hall where the pool lay, small waves forming as Kile sat on the edge, swaying his feet through the water.

"Come, sit." He said, and Arthur knelt next to the pool. "No, put your feet in the water. Like I do." He said, pulling his right foot upwards, the water running down his toes in the process. Arthur eyed Kile as if he was suggesting to put his feet in a pool filled with an acidic substance. "Dude, I'll push you in again if you don't listen."

Arthur's eyes widened and he placed his hand behind him, balancing while stretching his legs out. Now, he was sitting with his legs curled up in front of him. Kile looked at him expectantly. Arthur could feel his heartbeat in his head and slowly stretched his leg.

***

"He's a great guy," Arthur could hear Kile talk to Mr Qillian from outside his office, "but he just doesn't cooperate well." Arthur tried not to listen as he sat on the bench in front of Mr Qillian's office, looking at the stream of people walking all over the place and through each other.

Then, like magic, everyone, influenced by each other, started walking straight and in neat lines, and Arthur saw why quite suddenly. A huge bush of red hair and a long cloak had found itself in the middle of the hall, right next to the Eagle Fountain. Ella. She was eyeing people and seemed to scan the crowd for someone. Her eyes fell on Arthur, who swore the corner of her mouth curled up, and then her expression turned cold again, as if remembering something important.

Focused on Ella, he didn't notice when Mr Qillian's door opened again and Kile left, until Mr Qillian stepped out and asked Arthur to come in. He let Arthur sit on the chair he had sat when he arrived at Arboria. Mr Qillian started asking how Arthur was feeling, avoiding the subject of Arthur's failed class.

In suspense he fiddled with his fingers, while talking about how he'd made friends with Finn and Elice.

"... Now the real thing, Arthur. Can you explain, why you refuse to enter the water? It is highly essential, that you can swim."

-"But why?"

"Well, let's just say, that on the day you are going to defeat yourself, there is a possibility you will have to swim. If you can't, you've lost."

-"I don't get it. If I'm going to fight myself, he won't know how to swim either, right."

"See, that's where you're wrong. The Alter Ego isn't exactly you, it's some sort of demon who tries to copy your strengths, but it'll take some of your weaknesses with it. It's a very complicated subject, and you won't understand what I'm talking about. You don't need this information until you're near to defeating yourself, and you'll be here quite some time."

-"Wouldn't it be more useful, to just, inform students now, and have them know what is going to happen after all these years?"

"Arthur, I will not tolerate an attitude where you judge the Arborian system. It's a very old system, and it has worked properly for ages. You're dismissed."

The sudden angry Mr Qillian frightened Arthur. He hadn't meant to offend him, or the tree, but he felt like he needed to know how that fight with his Alter Ego would actually work, and he knew there were only two people who could possibly know and would want to inform him. Eylin and Finn.

***

Hey!

Another Wednesday, hope you liked this chapter and then I'll see you next week!

Leave a comment and a vote!

Love,
Florence