•Chapter Thirty-Eight•

Start from the beginning

Once I've finished Uriah is untied by Al and he comes over to help me lift Tobias off the chair making him groan in pain. The sound making me cringe.

"It's okay. You're okay." I mumble trying to comfort him but in reality everything was far from okay.

"Yo, how do we get out of here?" Uriah grits to Al, making him know that he's on our side now and there's no going back.

"They're all sleeping, it's the middle of the night." Al snaps back like it was obvious. I guess because of all the drama that's been going on I didn't realise how dark it's gotten. "They should be asleep for a while so all we have to worry about is the guards."

"Guards?" I gape. How many people are backing up Jeanine's evil schemes?

Al leads us through an unfamiliar corridor, Uriah holding a limping Tobias as I cling to his hand, trying to give him reassurance, when what all it's really doing is giving me strength to carry on.

"HEY!" A voice shouts from behind me. I jump, tuning to see an Erudite man with a large gun in his hands. Instincts coming into place, Tobias rushes to grab me but stumbles due to his pain.

"RUN!" Al's voice echoes around the corridor and we run for our lives, literally. Al leads us to the exit. Uriah is almost carrying Tobias- although he was slowly coming back conscious- it must be the adrenaline blocking the pain.

The guards footsteps thump behind us, and I run as fast as I can, following Uriah and Tobias.

"Tris, follow Al and take Tobias. I got this dude." Uriah hisses at me, cracking his knuckles and I have no choice before Tobias' body is thrown in my arms.

I struggle to keep him stable but Tobias doesn't need much help anymore and it seems I'm slowing him down as I clutch his elbow. However I can't find it in me to let go. He really is my strength.

I hear sound like skin-against-skin sound and a rather loud groan in pain. A second later Uriah is beside me, grinning proudly.

"Wow, you work fast." I say breathlessly. He just chuckles in response while we all slow to a walk.

"We need to..." Tobias mumbles and all my attention snaps to him. This is the first time I've heard him talk in so long. I nod, encouraging him to continue. "We...we need to hurry." He huffs, his breaths coming out erratically. "He wont be...out f...for long."

As soon as his words registered in my head it was too late. I heard a gunshot.

Everything was a blur from there.

Uriah runs towards the gunshot, determination on his face and I cry out trying to stop him. What on earth is he doing? Going towards the person with a gun that just shot him? Is he stupid?

Al's hand grabs my side and pulls us round a corner with force, making me fall onto hard concrete. Light floods my vision and I realise we are outside again. We made it!

I look around and see Tobias next to me, also on the floor. Al was across from us, his chest moving incredibly fast.

He must've saved us. But...why?

He is curled up facing away from us, in a fetal position, breathing heavily. Suddenly the door flings over and I jump up expecting a guard but instead it's Uriah.

"Uriah!" I cheer, flinging my arms around him. When I pull away I scan his body looking for injuries. My eyebrow's furrow when I see no gunshot wound, just some small cuts and bruises. "But...if you didn't get shot then..."

I first thought is Tobias and I rush around to where he was lying. What if he got shot? He wouldn't survive a gunshot wound, especially with all his injuries. I can't survive without him!

Panic floods me when I don't see him lying where I left him and my heart beats fast until I look around to see him hunched over Al to my left.

Wait...what?

I rush over to find out I was worried about the wrong person completely. Tobias didn't have the wound.

Al did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry for not updating last week! I did write it on my profile message board but basically I was flooded with homework over the weekend and I honestly had no time to write at all!

But it's up now! What did you think of this chapter? Was anyone expecting it?

Thank you for bearing with me through the wait. I know how annoying it is when an author doesn't update ;)

See you soon for another update! <4