"Well, what do you think so far?"

"This is unreal. I mean..."

"You mean, it's pretty amazin', huh? I suppose the novelty has mostly worn off for me, but I've been here for a while now. Still, every now and then, little things remind me of just how incredible this is. And since you're new, let me offer you a piece of advice. The best way to enjoy your time is to forget it's a simulator."

Eric curled his virtual lips. "How's that?"

"Well, try to imagine that this is Los Angeles during the 50s, and you're now part of it. In other words, while you're inside, leave your real self outside. Your habits, your history, your hopes for the future–leave it all out. Before long, you'll be convinced that this is the only true reality, and where you came from was just–I don't know–a dream, or somethin'. That's what makes these places so great. When you become such a part of them, they start to feel not like a place you're visiting, but all that ever was."

Eric nodded. "Yeah. I think I see your point."

"Great. And for starters, forget that all the people you come across are avatars."

"Well, that part's pretty easy."

The man leaned in. "In real space, I'm an elderly woman."

Eric took a half step back, the appraised the man and smiled.

"Pretty convincin'," the man said, "don't ya think?"

Eric chuckled his agreement.

"So, yeah. Forget that everyone's an avatar, or a computer program."

"Computer program?"

"Yup. There's computerized people here to help populate the world–give it more realism."

"How can you tell them apart?"

"Not by interacting with them. They're incredibly humanlike. But if you see someone doing somethin' boring–driving garbage trucks, painting walls, stuff like that–they're probably computer programs."

Eric shrugged. "That figures. I mean, who would enter just to wash dishes."

"True, but if the job's not too tough, it's probably a person. Most people here have jobs. That gives them somethin' to do. It also helps build their reputation, letting others know they exist."

Eric glanced to the side, eyes narrowed. He turned back. "I see. And by the way, do you happen to know where the public library is? I'm kind of a book lover, and I figured my first stop should be where all the books are."

"Of course. There's a few libraries around here. They're pretty popular in this era. The closest one is just a few blocks away." He provided directions.

"Great. Thanks. I'll head over there now. And thanks for the advice as well."

"No problem. Besides, I gotta get going too." He fussed with his suit's lapels. "I've got a hot date."

The man winked, then spun on his dress shoe and sauntered off. Eric smiled as the stranger strutted down the concrete sidewalk. If his hot date only knew.

Eric likewise turned, then started towards the library, and while walking, he reflected on first contact with another avatar. He shrugged and nodded. It went well. It also recalled what the man said.

Soon, it starts to feel not like a place you're visiting, but all that ever was.

Interestingly enough, the dictum already rang true. He did feel fully immersed, which surely aided the ease of interactions. Then he realized the extent of his immersion, and his feet froze.