Chapter 9

Welcome to Alternate Reality, the cutting-edge simulator that exceeds the realism of any competitor! For a small subscription fee, you can exist in any world imaginable. And once you're inside, feel free to stay however long you want, and live however you want!

Experience a favorite historical time-period. Fast-forward to the future. Enjoy the present in new and interesting circumstances. It's completely up to you!

When you experience our worlds, along with the infinite possibilities they offer, we're positive that Alternate Reality will become your only source for digital immersion entertainment. So if you're ready to experience the thrill of a lifetime, click on the New Users link and get underway!

The holo-projection disappeared, and Eric nodded. Whoever created the sales pitch had a deft hand in marketing. However, an algorithm likely produced Alternate Reality's intro, as undoubtedly, algorithms understood human desires far more than they.

With Eric ready to being his tracking mission, he created an Alternate Reality account, then downloaded and opened the avatar creator application. When the app projected into view, he shot back in chair.

The room exploded with customization pages, each the size of large posters, the brilliant windows almost overwhelming. He then leaned sideways and looked passed the pages, over towards a fleshy figure drowning in the digital color, ready to come to life. He leaned back.

Clearly, going through these screens would require hours of fine-tuning exertions, and he didn't want to delay his departure. He went back to the main screen still positioned over his desk, then searched for ways to circumvent customization. After some page navigations, he leaned in.

"Upload yourself?"

He moved a cursor over this link and up popped an explanation window. This route let users generate avatars based on their bodies.

Eric rubbed his chin. That might work. Not only would the self-upload option save time, it would place his consciousness into a familiar form, which should prove useful given how virtual reality worked.

In these digital domains, users thought their way around, and while that seemed intuitive enough, moving fluidly likely required familiarization. That said, wouldn't familiarization be easier inside the one body he knew?

He selected the self-upload option, which cleared most of the customization pages, but kept the base avatar in place. He then followed the program's prompts, which started by having him stand, turn this way and that, and speak various phrases. With the process complete, he turned back to the avatar, and his lips parted.

Eric, now looking at Eric, observed a picture perfect replication, down to every cell and fiber of clothing. He then inched towards the copy and extended a nervous hand, jerking it back when the copy moved.

The clone shifted again, but its movements were default actions without purpose–looking down across its body, lifting its hands and observing them, casually glancing about the room. Nevertheless, the clone up and animated wholly unnerved its human template.

Eric took an uneasy stroll around his other self, urging to say hello, and maybe inquiring about what was on his mind. But damn. What if the clone spoke back? If that happened, he would scramble like mad to shut off the computer. Perhaps he should just keep quiet.

Thoroughly satisfied and disturbed, Eric reseated himself. He now needed to dress the avatar, as entering the 1950s with 2040s business casual attire wouldn't suffice. Only what did 1950s attire look like? Though not entirely certain, he did know of a signature style that stood the test of time, and for nearly all the 20th century–spy gear.