CHAPTER 17

"Carter, where have you been? We have been looking for you," Zia said, coming into his room. Carter continued to stare down at the tape recorder in his hands. "Are you okay?"

Carter pressed the play button. Screams erupted from the tiny box. They lasted a long time before Dimitri's voice replaced them. "I know about your plan. You really thought you could trick me. I want the demigods at our lair or Sadie gets it. You have until sunset tomorrow."

Carter turned the recorder off. "Sadie is in big trouble because of me. What do I do?"

Zia sat down on the bed next to him and held his hand. "This is not your fault. Dimitri took her. We have the ability to save Sadie if we think clearly. After all, we have the upper hand. Just be patient," she said.

He sighed. "Thank you. I needed that," he said.

Zia kissed his cheek. "I doubt Dimitri actually hit her nor do I think Sadie would give him that satisfaction."

A lightbulb went off in Carter's head. "Maybe you're right. I need to found out more information on him," Carter said.

"There is a record we keep of all the magicians in the First Nome. I could take you there," Zia said.

"How come I have never heard about this?" Carter asked.

"Not a lot of people do. It's not used very often either."

"We should go now," Carter said, standing up.

Zia took his hand to stop him. "He'll notice if you're gone. We should take someone he won't notice," she suggested.

"A demigod?"

"How about Ashley? People will just think she's going to the First Nome to relax."

"I don't know if she's ready to go back in the game," Carter said.

"Give her a chance," Zia pleaded.

"Fine. I will go talk to her. The two of you need to head out tonight."

*****************************************************************************

Zia and Ashley travelled to the First Nome by nightfall. Everyone was asleep once they got there. The two of them had to quietly make their way to the records room. Cobwebs and dust covered the entire area but the door was open. Zia's staff erupted in flames. Ashley lazily lifted up her staff and wand. She already knew what was behind the door.

"Stay behind me," Zia ordered, walking into the room.

The room was lit with an unknown source of light. Shelves lined all four corners of the wall. Standing beside a shelf was Dimitri. He had a record in his hands. "Hello Ms. Rashid."

"Dimitri! Why are you here?" Zia sneered at him.

"I found out about your adventure. You even made it easy for me when you brought the little fox," he answered.

Zia looked back at Ashley, who was pointing her staff at Zia. "Please stand down. I don't want to hurt you," she said.

"You won't." Zia slapped her weapons to the side and took her to the floor. "You're a traitor."

"No, you are," Dimitri declared. "Let her go. Can we just talk one on one?"

Zia slowly removed herself from on top of Ashley. "I'm listening."

"See, I haven't tortured Sadie like I said I have. That just doesn't fit my nice personality. I don't want to fight with you, only make you understand. Before you decide to stop me just hear my story."