Date -1

The comfortable silence of the History section was broken by two girls running between the bookshelves.

The one chasing the other had a furious expression on her face. She was loudly panting and way too careless for someone in a miniskirt but kept going relentlessly, occasionally throwing an insult at the one in front of her. She's Park Chaeyeon, nineteen-year-old Education major at Seoul National University.

The girl being chased whipped her head back from time to time to measure the distance between them while effortlessly running like a madman. She's had an advantage thanks to her jeans and sporty club activities in high school. She's Kim Hyewon, nineteen-year-old Language and Literature major, at SNU as well. Usually the friend of Park Chaeyeon, right now the first person on her death list.

"Stop before I throw my shoe at you!"

Hyewon looked back to check if her friend had stopped to get rid of her ballerinas. Chaeyeon never joked with threats like that... Maybe she should stop? It's not like she's going to catch up to her unless she looses a leg. It's better to put an end to it before it could begin for real, doesn't it? ... But if she stops, she's going to die. Chaeyeon sure won't let her live if she learns what had happened.

"Promise me you'll let me live!" Hyewon shouted back after some time to think.

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes.

"You won't get away this -"

At this point she miserably tripped on a book someone forgot on the floor and the whole chase ended once for all.

Hyewon paused and changed direction to help her wailing friend up.

"Ouch, my knee!" Chayeon cried while dusting off her very red and swollen looking limbs. As she noticed Hyewon arriving, she became furious again. "You!"

"Spare your words, your injury is first." Hyewon squatted down to be level with Chaeyeon and examine the bruise. "Let's go to the infirmary. Nurse Jang will get you an icepack."

"I don't need an icepack. I need an explanation of why Kai is in the canteen kissing a girl who is not you."

Here they go. Straight to the point. Very Park Chaeyeon.

Hyewon let out a sigh and picked up the book instead of answering. It had an ancient-looking cover but looked out of place compared to the section they were in. After all, "The Book of Love" is not exactly the title people see in the History section of a university library. She better gives it back to Mr. Smith at the counter before someone starts looking for it.

Chaeyeon gently kicked her shin with her healthy leg to get Hyewon's attention on her again.

"Don't tell me I'm freaking out for nothing. Did you break up? Is he two-timing? If that's the case, let's go to the canteen, I'll beat him up for you."

She wasn't in a situation to laugh but imagining Chaeyeon and her barely 160 centimeters trying to give a beating to Kai and his 180 centimeters plus dancer muscles made Hyewon a little grin show for a second.

"I'd like to see you try."

Chaeyeon blinked unfazed.

"I've taken self-defense, mind you. Haul me up, I know where to kick so his ancestors will feel it."

"I didn't mean it!" Hyewon rebuked her harshly before changing back to her usual calm tone. "Look, it's a long story. I'll tell you everything once your bruise is checked out. Okay?"

Chaeyeon mumbled something incoherent. Hyewon took it as an approval and putting her friend's arm around her shoulder, carefully lifted her up, supporting most of her weight.