20 | Sooner

Chapter Twenty

Blu's POV

"You are so not forcing me to go to this stupid popularity party with you," Joaquín groans as he flops on my bed next to me Friday after school. I frown, "Please don't make me go alone. I'll buy you chicken nuggets after!"

"Now you're speaking my language," he laughs. I smile and push him away mumbling, "You're so annoying."

I get up from the bed and look at my wardrobe before pulling out some black ripped jeans, my white Vans, and a lavender sweatshirt. I hold them up for approval and Joaquín looks over. "Oh, very cute, very casual, I like it," he strikes a pose with each comment.

I laugh and shake my head at him, "Alright supermodel. I'm going to go get changed." He shoots me a smile and nods, "Alright. Have fun."

***

"This is not a small get together," are the first words to leave Joaquín's lips as we enter the party. I immediately agree and feel my throat run dry.

Everyone was either grinding, drinking, or playing some type of alcohol related game. I grab Joaquín's hand and he sighs as he leads us deeper into the abyss of teenage adventure.

I find people looking at me weirdly and try to ignore their unwanted stares. Bodies collide with mine at every turn and I give up on trying to make it through the crowd, choosing to take a seat on the couch in the living room instead.

Joaquín sighs and pulls out his phone just as I get comfy. We both huff before slouching on the cushions, our bodies relaxing into the piece of furniture.

I close my eyes and move my head along to the music, singing a few of the words to the reggae song that was currently bursting through the speakers. "You like this song?" A voice questions, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I open my eyes to meet a pair of familiar brown ones and smile as Joel peers into mine. I nod happily and he extends his hand, "Care to dance then?"

Joaquín pushes me away from the couch before I can even answer and ushers me away from him, "Go! Please take her!" Joel laughs at his words then takes my hand in his, training his gaze at me, "I will."

He tugs me into the middle of the dance floor, moving his shoulders to the music. I smile widely as the song ends and changes to a salsa that I recognized from when my parents were around.

Joel raises an eyebrow and I nod, taking steps forward to place one hand on the top of his shoulder and the other in his palm. We begin the fast paced dance in sync, our bodies moving in a language they only seemed to know.

I close my eyes and slip into the sounds of the song, turning and pressing my body to Joel's without a second thought.

He presses our foreheads together and I open my eyes just to see him look into my eyes and smile as he turns me for the final time and then dips me.

Laughing, I come back up and my fingers clasp at the back of Joel's neck. We stay in this position for a minute before I clear my throat and make some space between our bodies.

"You're a good dancing partner," I say as I move my head to the hip hop song currently playing. Joel simply looks down at me with a soft glimmer in his eyes and an even more gentle smile on his lips.

"You too," he says with the same gaze on his face. I furrow my eyebrows and lean forward curiously, "Why are you looking at me like that?" He shrugs and shakes his head, hiding his smile, "No reason."

Just as I'm about to question him further, Yoandri comes out of nowhere and grins at me. "What's cookin' good lookin'?" I both sigh and laugh at the same time and he presses a kiss at the top of my head.

"Nothing much. Why?" I ask.

He looks at me and smiles, "Just wondering if I could steal you for a dance?" I return his smile and nod, "Why not?"

***

After about the second bachata with Yoandri I find myself thirsty and rather sweaty. He notices and smirks, "Can I offer you a beverage?" I smile gratefully at his offer and he takes it as a sign to get me a drink.

"Alcohol or no?" he asks as he's about to run off into the kitchen. 

"No alcohol please," I reply. He nods once and disappears into the crowd. My eyes wander around till I find Joaquín and see him talking to some girl.

He seems to be enjoying himself.

I blow air out of my cheeks and decide to go upstairs to find a bathroom, hoping Yoandri takes a bit longer so I can freshen up.

Running a hand through my hair, I jog up the stairs and begin to look around, knocking on some random doors. I finally find it and quickly do my business before washing my hands and looking at my reflection in the mirror.

Good enough.

As I go to open the door, I hear some giggling on the other side and yank it open, trying to figure out what or who it was.

A body falls into mine and I stumble back for a second before looking at Joel who was holding hands with another girl. I bite my lip as I notice the lipstick on his mouth and take a breath before saying, "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt," and walking downstairs at a brisk pace.

I bump into some people on the way to the dance floor but hear someone calling my name, "Blu! Hey, wait up," Yoandri calls. He reaches me and hands me my cup, looking at me confused.

"Is everything okay? What's wrong?" He asks as he notices my now slightly off expression. I shake my head and take a sip of the soda in my cup, "No worries. I just saw something I wish I didn't."

Just as the words leave my mouth Joel is down the stairs and looks around the room. I try to hide but his eyes settle on me and he marches in my direction.

"Hey, look, I'm sorry I have to go but let's make some plans for later this week?" I tell Yoandri. He smiles and nods, "Sure."

I give him a quick hug before leaving the house and rushing down the steps, trying to get away from the inevitable conversation I would be having with Joel sooner or later.

"Blu!" a hand tugs on my wrist.

I huff, guess it's sooner.

___________________________________

a/n

i hate being in mind because anxiety is always lurking around and it finds me. and its not pretty, and its not beautiful.