Preparing for the Babies

Before you start reading this chapter I want to send a big thank you to xxNYPandaxx for sending me the idea for the first part of this chapter. The second part with the car seat was something I thought of but I thought it fit well into this chapter. Hope you like it! xx

It was a Sunday morning and you were curled up on the couch in the living room with a throw blanket over your legs and Connor's head laying in your lap. You were reading The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby - From Birth to Age Two. It was a book that one of your friends had recommended for you to read to help get you ready for the babies.

"Hey babe, what are you reading?" Niall asked as he came into the living room and sat down next to me on the couch.

"A baby book that one of my friends recommended for me to read. There's a lot of really useful tips in here. You should read it!" You said.

"I don't need to read a baby book! I've helped Lou with Lux and I've watched Theo. I know how to take care of babies." He said.

"Niall, there's a little bit of a difference between babysitting every now and then, and being a parent and taking care of a baby 24/7. And we aren't just having one baby. We're having two." You said.

"Y/n, I don't want some doctor or some random person who thinks they are an expert to tell me how to raise my children through some book." He said.

"It doesn't tell you how to parent. The author states that there is no one way to parent a baby. But they offer basic guidance and inspiration to develop a parenting style that best suits us and the babies. It covers everything - eating, sleeping, development, health, and comfort." You said.

"I'm not reading it." He said.

"Okay, fine. It was just a suggestion." You said.

You continued reading the book. You had read most of the book in just a few days. You decided that you weren't going to read the entire book now. But you covered the parts about pregnancy, childbirth, and the baby stages up until six months.

Later that afternoon you were looking all over the house for Niall. You checked the kitchen and the living room and he wasn't there. You went downstairs to the man cave and he wasn't there. The only place you hadn't looked was the nursery.

You walked down the hallway and quietly opened the door of the nursery. You smiled when you saw that Niall was sitting in one of the rockers with the pregnancy book in his lap.

"Hey, you okay?" You asked as you opened the door a little more so that you could see him.

"Yeah, just thinking about them." He said.

You walked over to where he was and he moved his arm so that you could sit on his lap.

"Oh yeah?" You said as you looked over at him.

"Yeah. I got to thinking about what you were saying about that book earlier. So I decided I would give it a try. I read a little bit of it and it got me thinking about all the decisions we'll have to make. And how different life is going to be once they're here." He said.

"Are you scared?" You asked.

"A little bit. I mean what if they don't like me? Or what if I'm a bad dad? Or what if they are crying and I don't know how to get them to stop?" He asked as he looked over at you.

"Niall, you've said it before, you're great with kids. You're a natural when it comes to them. I saw the way you were with Theo when we were decorating the nursery. He adores you, Ni, and Aiden and Ady will adore you too. You're going to be a great dad." You said.

"You know, I'm glad you tried to get me to read that book. There were some good points in it. I'm sorry I was so stubborn about it earlier." He said.

"It's okay. I know how stubborn you can be sometimes. I didn't mean to force it onto you. I just learned a lot from it, and thought maybe you would too." You said.

"I did learn a lot, I haven't finished it. But I feel like I'm a little bit more prepared to help you during the labor process." He said.

"Good, I'm glad it helped you." You said.

"What else do we need to do or get before the baby gets here?" He asked.

"Well we still need to buy some things but I don't want to do any more shopping until after the baby shower because I know we're going to get a lot of the stuff we need from our family and friends at our shower." You said.

"Okay what else. Is there anything around the house we need to do?" He asked.

"Well we have the car seats in the garage. We'll have to get those hooked up in the car." You said.

"Okay let's go do that." He said.

You and Niall headed down to the garage so that he could install the car seat bases into the back of the Range Rover. You and Niall had decided to go with Chicco brand car seats with removable bases that clicked in and out of the car and the stroller easily so you wouldn't have to get the twins out of their car seats every time you took them somewhere. Instead you could simply unclick the car seats from the bases and click the car seats into the stroller and be on your way.

Niall opened the box with the first car seat and pulled it out. He then opened the back door of the Rover and started to put it in.

"Don't you want to look at the instructions, Ni?" You asked as you leaned against the wall and watched him.

"I don't need instructions, babe. How hard can it be to put a car seat in?" He asked.

You ran your hands over your bump and rested them at the bottom of it. You heard Niall groan a few minutes later making you look up at the car. His head and torso were in the car and his legs were the only part you could see of him.

"Are you okay, Niall?" You asked.

"Yeah I'm good!" He yelled back to you.

A few more minutes passed and Niall continued to get more frustrated as he couldn't get the car seat in properly.

"I told your daddy to read the instructions, but he never listens to me." You said as you looked down at your bump.

"You know I can hear you, right?" Niall yelled out from inside the car.

"Sorry babe, but it's true." You said.

"I don't need the instructions. I know what I'm doing." He said.

You heard him groan again a few moments later. "For someone so little, why is it so big and so hard to put in?" He said as he talked to himself.

"Do you need help babe?" You called out. "I can call Louis and see if he can come over and help."

"I don't need Louis' help." Niall said.

A minute later he slid out of the car and smiled at you.

"There you go, sweetheart. I told you I could do it!" He said as he leaned over and kissed your cheek. You raised your eye brows and glanced into the car. You reached in and wiggled the car seat to make sure it felt secure.

"Yes you did!" You said as you wrapped your arms around his waist. "Now you have to do the other one." You said as you pointed to the second car seat that was sitting in its box.'

Niall let out a sigh before getting the second car seat out of the box and walking around to the other side of the car. Luckily the second car seat was much easier to install since Niall knew how to properly install it now.

Niall finished installing the car seat in just a few minutes and then shut the door and walked over to you.

"Thank you babe. You're the best." You said as you wrapped your arms around his torso and he wrapped an arm around your shoulders.

"You're welcome. I love you baby!" Niall said.

"I love you too!" You said as you reached up on your tip toes and gently kissed his cheek.