Picking the Names

It was around 10:00 at night and you and Niall had gone to bed. You were laying on your side of the bed trying to get to sleep but you couldn't because Niall kept tossing and turning around in bed.

"Ni, baby, is everything okay?" You asked as you rolled onto your back and looked at him.

"Yeah, I'm just having some trouble sleeping." He said.

"What's wrong, babe?" You asked.

"I've just been thinking..." Niall said.

"About what?" You asked.

"Well the twins are going to be here before we know it and we haven't even talked about names. What if our babies are born without a name?" Niall asked.

"Don't be silly, babe. Of course they will have names." You said.

"Have you thought about names at all?" He asked.

"I've thrown a couple around, but I was waiting for you to be around to talk about it. We're in this parenting thing together." You said as you looked over at him.

"What names were you thinking?" He asked.

"I don't know...I like Aiden James and Reagan Brooke. Those are my top picks. I've thrown around other names but those are the ones that have stuck with me." You said.

"James as the middle name for the boy?" Niall asked as he looked over at you.

You smiled over at him. You could only see part of his face from the moonlight shining through the window, but you could see that his lips were curved into a small smile.

"Yeah...after you." You said.

"You want to name our son after me?" He asked as he looked over at you.

"Yeah, I do. I love you so much and I know you're going to be an amazing dad." You said.

"Y/n, that means more than anything in the world to me. But are you sure?" He asked as he scanned your eyes for any sign of doubt.

"I'm positive. That's one thing I've known since I found out I was pregnant. If we had a boy I wanted to make the middle name James so that he could share his name with you." You said.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." You said.

"What were some of the other names you thought about?" He asked.

"Well I like Adalyn or Blair for a girl. I thought they were cute names, but aren't super common. I don't want to name our babies something a million people have named their kids before. For a boy I like Calvin or Jayden." You said.

"We could stick with the celebrity trend and do something crazy like name them after a fruit. Like Apple." Niall said as he grinned over at you.

"We are not naming our children apple or any other kind of fruit!" You said as you playfully slapped him on the arm.

"Well I really liked the name Theo, but Greg kind of beat me to the punch on that one." He said.

"Yeah, we can't really steal your brother's son's name." You said.

"I also wanted an Irish or Celtic name to honor my home country and where I grew up. You know how important Ireland is to me. I kind of like Finn for a boy. Can't get more Irish than a name like Finn. Or Declan" He said.

"I like Finn. It's cute. And I love Declan. Where did you think of that one?"

"It's sort of an Irish name. It means full of goodness." He said.

"It's beautiful." You said. "What about for a girl?"

"Well I like Ava or Nora or Ruby." He said.

"Ruby? That's kinda different. Where did you come up with that?" You asked.

"Well a ruby is a gem, and our daughter is going to be my little gem. Or like a gem for a princess. We could give a name based off of a gem to our little princess." He said.

You smiled as you looked over at Niall. It was so cute that he was thinking so hard about what to name the babies. He wasn't like some dads who went on Google just to scroll through a list of baby names to find a name. He had actually put some thought into what he wanted to name the babies.

"What about Teagan?" He asked. "It means beautiful in Celtic."

You thought about it and threw the name around in your head a little. Teagan Horan. It was cute but it didn't quite sound right to you.

"I like the meaning behind it...but I'm not really feeling the name." You said.

"There was one other name that I thought about, but I didn't know what you would think of it." He said.

"What is it?" You asked.

"Addison. We could call her Ady for short. I don't know why, but I've always liked that name." He said.

"I love the name Addison. I just wasn't sure about it because it's a pretty common name." You said.

"I know, but it's still a name we both like. And at the end of the day as long as you and I both like the name does it matter that a thousand other people have the same name?" He asked.

"No, it doesn't. I guess you're right." You said.

"So where do we stand?" He asked?

"Well let's each pick one name for a girl and one name for a boy. Then we can decide from the two choices." You said.

"Okay. Mine are Declan and Addison." He said.

"I like those. Mine are still Aiden and Reagan. But I do really like Addison too." You said.

"Do you like it enough to name our daughter it?" He asked.

You took a deep breath as you thought about it for a minute. You really loved the name Reagan but Addison was also really pretty. And you could tell how much Niall loved the name when he said it. You knew you would be happy with your daughter having either name.

"Yeah, I like it enough to name her Addison." You said as you smiled over at him.

"Okay so then we have Aiden and Declan for a boy." He said.

"What do you think?" You asked.

"Well we used my choice for the girl so I think we should use your name for the boy and name him Aiden." He said.

"Are you sure?" You asked.

"Positivie." He said.

"So Aiden James Horan and Addison Mae Horan it is?" You asked.

"I love them. They're perfect." He said as he rolled onto his side to look at you. He propped his head up with his elbow as he reached over and gently rubbed your stomach with his other hand.

"I can't wait to meet them." You said as you looked down at your bump.

"I can't either. They're going to be here before we knw it." He said as he glanced up at you.

"Do you think we're going to be okay parents?" You asked.

"I think we're going to be the best parents we can be. We won't be perfect, but we'll make it through the journey together." He said.

"I love you." You said.

"I love you too, baby. Now get some sleep. I've kept you up too late." He said before he leaned over and gently kissed your forehead. Then he smiled down at you and planted a soft goodnight kiss to your lips before he rested his head on your shoulder and snuggled up to you.