06

"so, shut your mouth and run me like a river."

→←

Dakota

I kept searching through snacks, none fitting my taste buds expectations. "Can I help you?" The familiar voice made me jump and I turned towards him, a glare on my face.

"No, I can find a snack myself." I snapped, turning the other way.

He sighed, and I could hear his footsteps getting closer. "Dakota, could you at least let me say something?"

I bit my lip to stop the sassy remark from flowing and clenched my jaw. "Sure. Tell me a good snack to buy first."

He chuckled and grabbed two bags of Oreo's, him throwing me one of them. I shrugged and went up to go pay for it. He shook his head. "On the house."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why the hell do you keep being nice to me? I liked you better when you were a menacing little bastard."

He started laughing and brought me to the back of the DX, making me sit down. "You know, my oldest brother is Darry."

My eyes went wide and I slowly nodded my head. "Okay, I still don't get why you're being nice to me all of a sudden."

He sighed. "Darry told me... about your brother. And then Bob. I'm sorry."

A huge lump formed in my throat and suddenly I wasn't hungry anymore.

I was pissed.

I clenched my jaw and laughed sarcastically. "Look, just because I've lost people doesn't mean you give me pity! This is why I never wanted to talk to you or get close to anyone ever again! Once they find this out, all they do is be nice to me and treat me differently! Just do me a favor, Sodapop, and next time, don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong!"

I stood up, my fists curled into a ball and grabbed the Oreo's, throwing them on the floor. I chuckled and glanced at his shocked expression. "Sorry, I lost my appetite."

I stormed out of the DX, the huge lump still in the back of my throat

I stormed out of the DX, the huge lump still in the back of my throat. I hate him. I hate life. I hate everything!

I felt like crying again and I knew where I needed to go. It's been a year, and somehow, I think right now is the best time to go.

I walked until the familiar house came into view, flashbacks hitting me like knifes, each one stabbing me in the stomach. Three more steps. Gunshots.