Chapter Nine

Natasha's POV:
We were too late. Sharon and I arrived just as he was being thrown out. Something was wrong though, he didn't act like his usual self. He was falling a lot, like he couldn't handle his own weight. It was rather scary seeing him like that. It made me wonder what had actually happened. So, I decided to talk to him about it.

"Steve," I said, "what aren't you telling me?" His head looked up from the book he was reading. "Ever since you left S.H.I.E.L.D., you've been acting differently. You can barely stand, but you play it off as nothing."

Steve sighed and met my eyes. "Nat, I think my age is catching up with my body," he said nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes and gave him a blank stare. "That's a new one."

"Fine, Nat, they took my strength."

That sentence was enough to kill me. "Th-they what?" I stuttered.

"They. Took. My. Strength." Now he was agitated.

"Steve, I-I'm sorry. But why would they do that?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. "They think that the world doesn't need a Captain America."

"Yeah well, they obviously have a death wish."

"Nat," Steve said in a small voice. "What if they're right? What if they don't need me?"

"Steve, don't say that." I sighed and sat down next to him. "The world might not need Captain America, but I'll always need him. I mean come on, who's going to be my partner on future missions?"

For once in his life, Steve Rogers smiled. "I don't know, Nat. I was always a bad partner," he joked.

"Nah, you were the best one I've ever had."

"And the only one."

"That's very true." We sat in a nice quiet. It wasn't awkward. It was just full of reminiscence about the past.
_____
Fury's POV:
"I need you to get Tony Stark on the phone. I need you to tell him to start the operation," I told Coulson.

"Yes, sir. Right away." And with that, Coulson was dialing the most arrogant man I've ever met.
____
Tony's POV:
I sat with Pepper in the living room of my New York tower. We were having a conversation about who would win in a battle, Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus. That is until I received a phone call from Coulson, Fury's number one lap dog.

"Ah, Coulson, to what do I owe the inconvenience to?

"Very funny, Tony, but Fury said to start the operation now."

"Why can't we wait for a few more days? We have at least three more days left in the deal, and we've waited this long."

"Just start it now." I was about to reply until I heard the dial tone start to play.

"How rude, he just hung up on me."
____
Steve's POV:
I was sitting in Nat's living room watching the news. Nothing of interest was playing.

I was about to turn it off when I saw Tony's face appear as a headline.

"Tony Stark, the number one billionaire of the United States, is being reported as a quote unquote monster. He is seen here, live, destroying the memorial park dedicated to the 9/11 victims. He is also terrorizing people that happen to be in the area."

I couldn't believe that Tony would be doing this.

"Steve! We have to go! Now!" Nat yelled from her room. She was running to the door when she turned to see me unmoved from my spot on the couch. "Steve! Get up!"

"No, Nat, I'll only slow you down. Besides, you're wasting time, and I have no way to help you."

"Steve that's nonsense. You can't still help me, super strength or not."

I stood up, feeling a lot better than the past few days. I pushed her out the door and said, "Nat you need to leave now. Those people are going to get hurt if you don't. Now go save them."

"Not without you. Steve, I'm not a hero. I don't save people; I only hurt them. I'm trained to kill, not to help. That's why I need you."

"Natasha, can't you see that I'm useless? I'm weak, and I can barely walk, let alone throw a punch! Now--" Before I knew it, Nat's lips were on mine, but it was over as quickly as it started.

"I love you, Steve, but we have a city to save."
____
A/N: So I might as well finish this book. I'm think that there will be one chapter left in this story. Thank you guys for reading this! It means a lot to me.

Love,
- Emily Lee