Chapter Thirty-Two

Começar do início

Hunter: You know I don't believe that, right?

Ryan: i'm sorry

Hunter: Are you available for me to call you?

Ryan: Yeah sure

He called her, and she answered. "Hey, darling."

"You sound ill," he said immediately.

"Oh, come on," she said. "I literally only answered the phone."

"You sound... you're not well, I can tell that much," he said. "Ryan, please-"

"You're overthinking, Hunter. I'm fine."

He sighed. "Alright. If you're sure."

"How's the tour?"

"It's going alright. We've worked out a plan for Virginia."

"Yeah?"

"We're gonna have a competition for a tour of the bus or backstage, and just... yeah, we'll see how it goes."

"And she'd win?"

"Of course. Then we'd meet her, and see how much it would make sense for her to be my daughter."

"Right, yeah."

"Are you sure you're alright? You seem a little out of it today."

"No, I'm fine. Slept badly, y'know? It's so much easier to sleep when you're with me."

"I know." He sighed. "I miss you."

"I miss you, too. But it's going well, right? You're finally looking for your daughter, and everything is gonna be alright."

"I suppose."

"Good. Now, you sound tired. Maybe take a nap?"

"I was trying to, but then I couldn't, so I messaged you."

"Of course." She sounded tired herself. "I'm gonna take a nap now, too."

"Alright, my dove. I love you."

"I love you more, bluejay. Sleep well."

He hung up, taking a deep breath. Maybe he was overreacting. Maybe she was fine. She had to be fine.

He couldn't lose her, too.

<><><><><><><><>

"You have to tell him."

"I can't. You don't unders-"

"Ryan, I've known him longer than you have." Lucky glared at her. "You can't keep this a secret from him. What if something doesn't go to plan? What if you end up-"

"We're not gonna think about that," she responded, though she could feel her stomach doing somersaults.

Jessie was more gentle. "Ry, you shouldn't have gone out yesterday. Imagine you had collapsed, what would Phoenix have done? Take Drew with you, or just ask him to do things, he's available most of the time, and he loves those kids anyway."

"I'm just-"

"I know. Spending time with them."

"I can't just avoid them. I can't. I mean, it's not like... it's not like I'm contagious."

"We know that, but-"

"Would you do it if it were you, Lucky?" she said, and Lucky sighed.

"This isn't me we're talking about. We're talking about you. My husband works from home. I've got him whenever I need him, and I don't keep secrets from him about stuff this huge."