Cuddy Buddy - Chapter 5

Over a week later, Sierra was convinced that the adolescent female population was going to waste. Instead of counseling strong and smart young women she was stuck listening to their foolishness. She wanted to make a difference in the community and she didn't feel like she was doing any good with her new employment. She didn't go to school for six years for this. No matter what type of advice she gave the girls, they never listened. They would leave the Health Department and return the next week with the same problem.

"How did you let this happen again?" Sierra asked a teen named Serenity. She was becoming a regular in the office. She was a pretty girl but stupid. She was pretty-stupid Sierra concluded, she snickered to herself at the joke while she took notes.

"I did it because he asked me to. He's my boyfriend and I wanted to make him happy," the young girl sobbed.

"You just told me that he's not your boyfriend," Sierra reminded her.

Her eyes lit up. "But he will be. He told me that if I did this then we could be more."

Sierra looked at the chart. "What he did instead was give you a STD and took advantage of you. He stole your innocence."

"What innocence? I've given head plenty of times. LJ wasn't my first. Now can you give me the shot I got last time so I can leave. I have plans."

Sierra looked at Serenity and lifted her eyebrows. She couldn't believe what she was hearing from the 15-year-old. She could have any boy she wanted but she chased after the star football player that used his popularity to bed multiple girls. They were all sharing germs and diseases. Sierra wanted to tell the girl's parent but due to confidentiality rights, she couldn't make the phone call.

She tapped the pen against her notebook and tried to grasp the right words. If this girl was one her adult friends she would just tell her to stop being a hoe but Sierra had already been chastised on how she talked to the clients. She rolled her eyes when she thought about the meeting with her boss.

"Sierra, we've been getting some complaints from some of the girls on your caseload."

She couldn't think of a reason why "What type of complaints?"

"The girls are saying that you're too harsh.

Sierra rolled her eyes. "Too harsh? These girls need someone to be harsh towards them. You guys have been sugarcoating too much for them. They're promiscuous and loose. I understand that -"

"You need to understand that this is a grant funded program and if our donors catch wind that our girls aren't happy then we can't move forward with you being a health educator here. Educate them about the risks but don't insult them or make them feel bad and embarrassed about their mistakes."

Sierra didn't agree with her boss. Instead of holding her clients hand she was a straight shooter and told them like it was. She was going to do the same with Serenity.

"You know if you stopped sucking dick so much you wouldn't have to come to the clinic every week.

An hour later Sierra was walking down the hall to her apartment. Bag in one hand and heels in another she had no choice but to hold her cell phone in the crook of her neck and shoulder. She desperately needed to vent to someone. Her work day ended on a shitty note.