Chapter3

Author's POV

Lightning flashes into the shared dormitory; seemingly only disturbing a trembling Cheryl.

Her tense body tosses and turns: duvet pulled tight to her chin as she watches the tropical downpour crash from the sky.

It felt as if the past was being replayed, leaving her vulnerable and alone once more.

She mentally debates waking the oblivious blonde, fearful of appearing weak or pathetic. However, a deafening rumble of thunder shakes her to the core, finally scaring her enough to interrupt the Bradford girl's deep slumber.

Slipping from her camp bed, the brunette allows the blinding bolts of light to guide her across the room.

"K-Kim?" The Geordie whispers, crouching down, "Kimberley?" She tries again, this time with a gentle prod to the shoulder.

"Hm?" The blonde murmurs, stirring slightly at the touch.

"Kim, wake up." Cheryl practically begs, eyeing the swirling storm out the rattling window.

"Cheryl?" Kimberley questions quietly, blatantly disorientated as she opens her dreary eyes to find a tearful brunette in the darkness.

"Mm, yeah, it's us."

"Wh-What are you- what's wrong?" She sits up, tiredly brushing the hair from her face and the dust from her eyes.

"Nothing.." The Geordie immediately regrets causing a fuss; she felt like a burden.

"Couldn't sleep?" The blonde asks, nodding knowingly towards the raging winds outside.

"Yeah." The brunette admits, happily obliging when Kimberly lifts her blanket and invites her to sit in the space.

"Thanks." She smiles shyly, pressing their sides firmly together: swinging her legs and creaking the metal bed frame.

"You're welcome." The blonde grins sleepily, wrapping her arm over the younger girl's shoulders to cocoon them tightly.

They speak in hushed voices, however soon forget about the chorus of snores sounding from the rows of sleepers.

"I wonder what we'll do today." Kimberley bites her lower lip, struggling to find Cheryl's face in the dimly lit room.

They sit side by side: immune from the roaring typhoon in their tranquil bubble.

"I'd guess survival training. Actually that's more of a hope.. Less chance I'll be eaten by a lizard then." The brunette chatters away.

"Lizards won't eat you babe."

"The big ones.. what d'you call em? Man-Monitor lizards, they're bloody massive."

"Still won't eat you. I'm bigger but I won't gobble you up." The blonde chuckles under her breath.

"That's good to know. I'm hoping a month on the island won't result in cannibalism."

They muffle their giggles with their hands: a late night energy running through their veins.

Cheryl rests her head on the blonde's shoulder.