A little talk with the Professor

Just as I hoped the Professor accompanied us to my home, though not before much pressuring from my mother. I honestly have never seen my mother be so pushy in all my 11 years of life before, her behavor was very curious.

I was sitting in the chair of the sitting room listening to my mother and potions master having a conversation. It was quite interesting the way this man that I had thought so poor of was bragging about me.

"She is a pleasure to have in my class, normally I have to teach numpties but this girl you have raised here is the smartest of the bunch." He spoke as if I was Albert Einstein or some other smart legendary figure, I was just a simple girl who happened to read alot and catch on fast nothing more.

"Yes my little angel takes after her father in so many ways. He was known well for his rare photographic memory, he remembers everything even after just staring at it for a mere second. When she graduated high school at age 10, she was home schooled because she learned way to fast." my mother blushed.

Oh here we go again, mother bragging about me having graduated. Being smart like I was, wasn't a gift but a curse. I had no privacy what so ever as a child, everywhere I went strangers wanted photo's and comments. Didn't they understand I just wanted to be a child a normal child.

"How has she been doing in her other classes?" My mother asked curiously.

"She and another girl in her house are the two top students. But without effort your daughter is the top by far. She knows things that some of the 7th years have yet to learn or even grasp."

My mother looked at me and smiled, her lip quivering. Oh here we go again, she is going to start crying again. She does this everytime someone compliments me on my brains and knowledge. Just as I had predicted she broke into tears, gushing about like the mother I knew too well.

"I'm so sorry, its just that my husband....." She hiccuped. "She reminds me so much of my husband."

I felt bad, though I had never voiced my thoughts about the way she bragged and cooed frantically over my smartness, I just never fully understood why she did it. Until now. I got up and crossed the room and pulled her into a hug. I looked over at my professor who was eyeing us with interest, or maybe he was eyeing my mother?

I turned to my mother and whispered in her ear. "You should ask the professor if he'd like to stay for dinner."

I was up to my schemes again, trying to get my mother to date again. I mean she was miserable by herself but she wouldn't let herself date because she loved my father so much. In my minds eye I knew father would want her to be happy. I bet if he looked down at her right now and saw how she was without him he would blame himself, I didn't want my father to miscontrue what was going on.

My mother looked at me before she gave the feeblest smile and then moved me off her lap, to my feet. "I am about to make dinner and was hoping you would stay for a while longer and join us."

I watched my professer dwell in his thoughts, his face screwed up as if he was making a difficult choice in a life or death situation. Really.... I thought to myself, how hard was it to decide. Unless there was more that would affect the decision making process that was as simple as it should be.

"I am afraid that I can't"

"Why not!" I practically snapped.

He looked at me and then to my mother before he spoke again. "What I am about to tell you must never be spoken again."

"Okay, what is it?" I spoke eager to know why he declined the invitation.

"Her name is Lily" My eyes widened as I looked at him. "She was my best friend and the love of my life, yet I never truly had her as her heart was taken before I had a chance. She died 10 years ago and I haven't allowed myself to date since then, or even look at another woman the way I saw her."

Of course, he saw the simple dinner as a date. It wasn't a date, though I was hoping that sometime down the road it could lead to something along the lines of that.

"Professor, I know I never knew her but I am pretty sure that if she looked down upon you, she would feel horrible that you are denying yourself the slightest bit of happiness because of her death. She would want her best friend to be happy." As I spoke these words I looked at my mother as the message was mean for the both of them, not just Snape.

My mothers eyes watered and I knew she knew I was right as I spoke these words. She then looked up to Severus who just gazed right back, his cold black eyes softer then I have ever seen them.