When Things Fall Apart

Sahara sat outside for a while She gazed into the distance while her mind raced.

 "Hey," the voice spoke.

Looking up she found Terrell standing there.

"You okay?" he asked.

Sahara nodded, though she felt far from it. She let her head rest on her knees once more as she stared into the distance. More laughter trickled out from the warehouse.

"Sounds like they're having fun," Sahara murmured.

"Yeah," Terrell agreed as he stuck his hands in his pockets. "This used to be a quiet place...and then you came along."

"Sorry," Sahara murmured.

"Don't be," Terrell replied. "I actually kind of like it. I guess I sort of missed it."

Sahara turned to glance at him. "Missed it?" she asked.

"Having crazy people around," Terrell replied as he closed his eyes. "You could say that I was kind of avoiding them...running. I guess there were just things I didn't want to face..." he trailed off.

For a brief moment Sahara felt as though he had put his walls down. Yet then they came back again.

"I think this is going too far," Terrell said.

Sahara furrowed her brow, not sure what he was getting at.

"The twins...Naomi, all of them," Terrell turned his eyes on Sahara. "They think of us...you as family. As far as they're concerned we're going to stay together no matter what. Yet...that's not what's going to happen, is it?"

The laughter had stopped, yet Sahara didn't notice. "I know," she whispered.

Terrell let out a sigh. "Look..." he paused. "I just don't think it's fair to any of them really...to..." he trailed off, not saying whatever he was going to say. "I think you should tell them," he said.

Sahara's head snapped up.

"Not the whole other world thing. Just what your real aim is for reaching to top..."

Sahara's heart sank. He has a point, she thought. But... she shook her head. "I don't think I can." She got to her feet. "If I tell them...it'll be bound to..." she trailed off, remembering how the twins were betrayed by their first crew. Is what I'm doing any better? Hiding the truth from all of them?

"If you don't tell them then what?" Terrell asked. "How do you think they'll react? What if we reach the top and you really find a way home? Are you just going to disappear then without a word?"

Sahara bit her lip. She wasn't sure what had brought Terrell to suddenly bring this up, but in some way she felt he was right. However, she didn't want to admit it.

"Are you going to tell them then that it was all so that you could leave?" Terrell asked. Sahara was surprised by the hurt she thought she detected in his voice.

Sahara shook her head. "If I tell them now or later, does it really make a difference?" she whispered. She lifted her head as her emotions took over; the confusion, the feeling of being torn between two places, not knowing what she wanted anymore. "You're asking me to tell them that once we reach the top I'm leaving."

"It's the truth, is it not?" Terrell asked softly. "It's the whole reason we're doing this."

Sahara bit her lip. She suddenly felt close to tears. "I didn't ask for any of this. I just..." her confusion was growing, "I-I  just wanted to go back home!" She paused, the dam threatening to burst. "I still do," she whispered with less conviction.