A Past Revealed

"Ah, hot!" Reagan complained. His left wrist was bandaged as he had sprained it in the race before.

From where she was sprawled, fanning herself, Alegra glared at him.

Sahara didn't have to wonder why. For the last two hours, it was all Reagan had been saying. No one in the warehouse wanted to be reminded of the heat. In fact, she was sure the whole city already knew well enough. Even Mo had disappeared under the couch where it was cooler.

"I sure hope Rayne gets this fixed," Arden muttered.

Orion glanced up from where he was sitting, he had been typing away rapidly on a hologram screen for some time. "It's not that easy of a fix. Unfortunately, until it's sorted out it looks like we'll be stuck with this heat."

"You don't think the pools around the city would be working, do you?" Alegra asked.

Both twins, and Naomi, sat up straight.

"Pools?" Sahara asked with hope. She could most definitely go for a swim right about now.

"Don't even bother," Orion said. "Most of them were drained once our engines stopped to better handle our water supply. The few that are still open are bound to be filled to the brim. You'll have so many crews there that they'll be fights brawling. And even if there aren't, you'd be lucky to get even a drop of water to yourself."

"But...isn't that a perfect opportunity to get a challenge?" Sahara asked.

"You want to race in this heat?" Alegra asked.

Orion pushed up his glasses.

"Hey, it's possible," Arden shot over from where he was sitting on the ground.

"I didn't say it wasn't," Alegra snapped back. "I just don't know anyone who would want to."

Sahara bit her lip. It looked like the heat had tempers flaring for no big reasons.

"Well, maybe you're just lazy," Arden muttered.

"At least I'm not stupid," Alegra retorted.

Naomi laughed. "Stupid," she repeated as she pointed a finger at Reagan.

"Hey!" Reagan protested. "Why me?"

Ignoring them, Orion went back to typing away while Alegra and Arden continued to bicker. Naomi and Reagan started a fight of their own where they pulled each other's cheeks. Sahara watched, feeling too lifeless to do anything else.

The door suddenly burst open, making everyone jump. Sahara turned to see Terrell standing there. Though he was covered in sweat, he looked a lot fuller of energy than anyone else in the room. Sahara realized why when she caught sight of the strawberry milk carton he was holding in one hand.

Alegra caught sight of it too and narrowed her eyes. "Where did you get that?" she asked.

Both Naomi and Reagan had frozen, each while pulling the other's cheek.

Terrell shrugged. "Where there's a will, there's a way." He crumpled the carton in one hand to show it was already empty, before he tossed it over a shoulder.

Alegra glared at him in disapproval.

"Hey." Terrell raised one hand innocently. With the other, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a lollipop. Unwrapping it, he stuck it in his mouth. "Happy?" he asked.

"I don't think he gets the point," Sahara murmured.

"So, who's up for helping me?" Terrell asked.

"Helping you do what?" Arden murmured as he lay back down on the cool floor.

"I've got to move a bit of junk around back. It's been sitting around forever."