Prologue

New story! :) My brain is just brimming with ideas. Hope you'll like this one. Vote, comment...I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Please note: This book contains diverse characters with different racial backgrounds and interracial relationships. If you are still stuck in the stone age, save yourself the 'torture' and just not read. No racial comments will be tolerated.

Dante

        ===================================================================

Prologue

Expect the unexpected, prepare for the worst...I had heard it all. It was something my freshman geography teacher used to tell the class. Of course he was talking about an upcoming test. He said to study things you didn't expect him to ask because he could ask whatever he wanted. That was how life was, as I soon learned. Sometimes you had things under control and sometimes they just slipped into a never ending abyss.

Jackson "Jax" Wyatt, son of Mary-Ann and Robert Wyatt, British-American, 16 years old, star basketball player, dating one of the hottest guys at Lake Tonoue high school; I was the envy of many people in my town. Some said I had the brightest smile and the whitest teeth. Some said my light blue eyes looked like the pacific on a calm day. I had quite fair skin, which was also very sensitive. My lips were the palest shade of pink and my hair the darkest black. And some said I had a bit of "Britishness" in me, whatever that meant.

I bordered on androgyny, something I hadn't always liked. I grew up in a small village in Essex, northeast of London, England. It was a small-knit community, and well, androgyny was something foreign to them.

"How old is she?" some mother cooed, holding her little girl's hand firmly.

"He's 5," my mother said.

"She's a boy? Oh my, she...he looks like a girl."

Of course my parents were concerned. I went to numerous doctors, who said the same thing, "your boy is fine". I looked like a girl most of my childhood. I endured all sorts of bullying. It was during a stage where boys detested girls and vice versa. To be called a girl was the worst insult. I physically couldn't fit in with the girls or the boys. It wasn't until I turned 9 that I started looking more like a boy. That year my dad found a job in America and off to the States we went.

I'd heard a lot of stories about the USA, most of them bad. I came from a small closed-off village, being in the states was different. I expected to be ostracized, I got none of that. It was true that I was in the land of the opinionated, but for once in my life I felt like I belonged. It could be that I was getting older, developing a thicker skin and becoming comfortable with myself, but my surroundings helped immensely.

At 16 I looked more like a boy, but in certain poses I was mistaken for a girl. I embraced my androgyny. Instead of being a weakness it became a strength. Overall life was great. That was until that fateful day.

"Jackson, can you pick up your sister from school, please? I will be a little late," mom asked over the phone.

It was a little late in the afternoon. I had just gotten back from basketball practice. I had just literally walked into the house.

"How late?"

"Mmm," mom hummed. I could imagine her biting her lip on the other side. "Around 6... pass 6."

"I'll pick her up," I said.

"Great. 5 o'clock don't be late. I'll call in to let them know."

Mom hung up afterwards. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before hitting the shower. I usually took a quick shower at the school gym showers, which always left me not feeling clean. Being a gay androgynous guy in a room full of naked guys made me uneasy. It was awkward for everyone involved so I tried to always finish early. I was also a little bit body conscious. I was the epitome of tall, fair and skinny. I wasn't really tall, but my weight made me appear tall and of course my basketball uniform didn't help.